The contempt some have for Metro Detroit on this board is pretty sad. Outside of a delusional few, nobody claims this area is perfect. Most of us are well aware of its shortcomings, but we also have our reasons for living here. Personally, I love it. You can claim I'm ignorant - but who are you to judge? I'm happy here. Sorry. I'd love to see transit, Detroit proper and many of the us vs. them attitudes improve, but it's not make-or-break for me. I have a good job, a happy family, great neighbors and everything I need within walking or driving distance.

I work for a major foreign-owned company with a large presence in Metro Detroit. We have associates from India, Germany, Mexico, etc. on 3-year work assignments living in the area. Many of them are raising families here. My previous boss' children have spent their entire lives here. Now, I can't read minds, but I highly doubt they'd raise a family here if they hated it. Nobody is forced to relocate.

What's interesting is that, in my experience, many visitors [[especially those on business) are completely unaware of what the area has to offer. Many of them don't venture far from the suburban apartment complex [[or hotel) they are staying in. I couldn't tell you why exactly. I took two associates [[a visitor from Mexico and a coworker from India that has lived here for a year) downtown on Friday. They had never been, and were frankly terrified to go based on what the nay-sayers had told them. It turns out they really enjoyed their visit, and had no idea how much Detroit has to offer. Take that for what it's worth. In my opinion, if one truly knows what Detroit has to offer and fills the holes with what the suburbs have to offer, we've got a pretty good region

As for the comment about visiting Chicago vs. suburban Chicago - that's just silly. If I go to visit the Chicago area, it's because I want to see the attractions of one of the country's biggest cities. It has absolutely nothing to do with my preference of Detroit's suburbs vs. Chicago. I have no reason to go to suburban Chicago because, honestly, it offers the same things suburban Detroit does.