Quote Originally Posted by professorscott View Post
Ahh, very refreshing to see some holistic thinking. This is exactly correct. We need to make travel convenient, all kinds of travel: walking, bicycling, driving, use of taxicabs, buses of all types, the People Mover since what the hell, it exists, and yes, someday, light rail and commuter rail. People need to be able to get around, and we must recognize that for various reasons not everyone drives.

It will be a combination of things, and not any one single thing, that will breathe new life into the City and the region. It is probably just as important that Detroit is slowly putting bike lanes onto roads, as it is that we are working on transit.
Yes. I rally against LRT, and for BRT. I want people to have open minds. LRT is rather 'old school'. Our options today are so much greater. But the truth is that I'd love to see LRT on Woodward. But even more, I want us to be open to what is achievable.

Detroit's finances are a mess. When Coleman was mayor, we kept getting money from the feds because of our political clout. Well, that's gone now. It moved south. Tennessee. Texas. Arizona. They've won.

If we fight really hard, we may get our fair share of transit [[or any other federal) money. But we're not going to get much in the way of gifts. We frankly don't matter much. So let's get ourselves going and do whatever we can.

So let's do bike paths! Fix our taxicab rules. Allow jitneys. Make sure you can get around our city. For us and for tourists.

Maybe all we can do now is bus lanes on Woodward with jump lights. Its sure wide enough. All that takes is a little paint and a few million of signal work.

Whatever it is, let's get behind it, and make it great.