Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Threaded View

When my grandparents [[ maternal & paternal) moved to Detroit in 1920 my maternal grandparents moved on the street where Greektown is located. At that time it twas called Catherine St. They lived on the other side of the street across from Second Baptist Church. As most of my mother's relatives moved to Detroit from South Carolina they all lived on that street. My mother said that at the time that area was populated with African Americans and Greek immigrants. Most of the African American population moved futher east to work at the Hudson Motor Car Co. The Greek immigrants remained there. My paternal grandparents moved on Clairpointe when they came here from Kentucky because my grandfather wanted to continue farming in addition to working at the plant. My mother's parents moved on Clairpointe as well when my grandfather got hired at the plant, which is how my parents met and ended up getting married.. I don't know when the street was changed to Monroe. But the information I obtained came from City of Detroit directories at the Burton Library. I was trying to find out when my family came to Detroit and where they lived when they first got here.
    Last edited by MidTownMs; January-28-12 at 12:27 PM.