I don't think any of them are perfect. I think a combination of #2 [[for keeping greater downtown together), and #3 [[represents the other neighborhoods better) are best.

In the article a point was made about how by law you can't segregate based on various demographics. But at the same time those different demographics have different interests that need to be represented. If you mix downtown with anything, downtown's interests will overpower the rest, and the same goes for poor neighborhoods and not-poor neighborhoods.

Part of the problem is that the populations need to be balanced. This isn't how it's going to happen, but if it were up to me, the districts would be completely based on the similarity of interests, without any regard to population. And then all of the council member's votes would be weighted based on the population of their district. This would improve the districting, and it would encourage the council members to work to increase the populations of their districts, in order to increase their political influence.