After high school, I went door to door and hit every business on Grand River between Meyers and Greenfield, and down Greenfield all the way back to Plymouth and then over to Schaefer. If they were hiring, they wanted somebody with "experience." I cleaned house for a neighbor who was dying of breast cancer, and tutored another neighbor's son in reading. Finally, at the end of summer, I got a "real job" waiting tables at Big Boy on Greenfield just south of 8 Mile. I did OK until a new hire with more "experience" started stealing my tips. @50 cents an hour, you need every tip you can get, and believe me, back then a quarter was a good tip. I quit after a month, mainly because transportation was a problem and they hired new waitresses at higher pay and then one of them stole my tips. No bus after ten pm, and my shift ended at midnight. I rode my bike a few times and found it too dangerous riding eight and a half miles that late at night. But, with that "experience" I was able to get a job at the catalog center at Sears, Grand River and Oakman for the Christmas season. THAT was a fun job, $1.35 an hour, too, seemed like a fine sum.