Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Threaded View

Quote Originally Posted by Zeyrek View Post
    I am still interested in what the city has to offer [[i am impressed by the people who have responded here) and am hoping to find the right fit since I have a good job opportunity and would love the chance to live in the States for several years, but only on the right terms. Am I being naive or are things really as bad as some make them out to be?

Thank you.
    Zeyrek
    I'd say it's not as bad as they say for all of Detroit. There are parts of the city where you can live comfortably with no problem. And yes there are parts that basically that look like bombed out ghettos. Both exist in Detroit but the "bombed out" areas IMO are places that you'd never actually have to go to, let alone would want to live in anyway [[especially for an immigrant). So in essence, you'll be living in a very multifaceted city.

People only judge Detroit by it's worst and hardly look at it's best only until they actually live in the city. Though, I admit, it's probably waaaaaay easier to look at other major US cities and not have this much of a problem trying to figure the place out.

There are plenty of websites that show the better areas of Detroit and what the city has to offer. Here's one that'll probably be a particularly helpful start: http://www.modeldmedia.com/

So for you, I'd suggest finding out as many positive stories about Detroit as you can but also keeping in mind that the city has its fair share of problems, and is strikingly different than what you'd expect [[for better or worse).

Also keep in mind that many other major urban US cities will all be different from Swedish cities but will have some attributes similar to Detroit [[basically that Americanized factor). I'm not sure if you mentioned about having been to other parts of the US. But all in all, I hope you learn a lot and come to a decision that you'll be satisfied with. Good luck!
    Last edited by animatedmartian; November-18-11 at 06:46 AM.