Quote Originally Posted by evergreen View Post
I just saw this thread for the first time yesterday and knew that the outcome would not be good. Since this story began more than a year ago, I didn't have to wait long to get the to the conclusion.

Detroit is in the midst of a B&E epidemic. Even a council member's house was broken into in broad daylight recently. I have friends, even in EEV, whose homes were broken into multiple times. In at least one case, it caused a lot of emotional damage to a young family member. The sense of violation and insecurity thereafter is very, very real. These are property crimes in name only.

Forget about walking around a neighborhood trying to get a "feel" for it. Get the facts. Go to the crime statistic site on the internet and check out the crime rate. http://www.crimemapping.com/ If you adjust the map to look at the area near 8 Mile one feature will jump out at you. The area south of 8 Mile [[Detroit) looks like it has a raging case of the measles. The area to the north looks like it has a very mild case of acne.

There are many neighborhoods like mine, that look pretty good, but have an unnerving rate of criminal activity. Trust me, once you get away from the brand-name showplace neighborhoods in Detroit, you are absolutely on your own.
Only thing that suprises me is that it took a year for that house the guy was renovating to get ripped off, thought it would have happened way earlier.