Beggar heyday, mid 50's, very early 60's. I was nearly on the Harper Woods, GPW, Detroit line.

Dad had a old actors makeup kit, glue on beards, goatees, etc. used gum spirits as glue...I can still remember the smell of that nasty stuff.

Had few store bought costumes, I remember being a hobo, Abe Lincoln, ghost using a sheet and one year pops made me look like Robbie the Robot using boxes, cut up egg cartons, tinfoil, etc.

Amount of kids on the street in those years was enormous, the sidewalks were packed. I'd work the streets of all 3 places I named above. The convent at Queen of Peace always gave really good stuff, and word would spread quickly about who was giving out actual change. We always tried to hit those places at least twice, more if we could get away with it.
The houses that gave out pennies and nickels, we'd remember, & there were two folks who gave out the outrageous sum of dimes. WOOT! Bags of chips, Lick-m-Aid, & Nestles chocolate were always high on my list of desired goodies.

Always used a pillowcase, never a bag and by the time I got to 8-9 I'd work so fast I could get a case and a half filled before the night was done. Me and a couple buddies were always one of the last kids off the streets.

Oh yeah...no razorblades/needles in those days. Anyone who does that ought be shot.
Homemade stuff like popcorn balls, candy apples & fruit would be plentiful.

And it was always help the poor for me. Fond memories....albeit a little fuzzy these days.