Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post
Nice generalization and slamming of a noble profession. A few bad apples don't spoil the whole bushel.
Agreed. My experience with DPD has been very good. Maybe I've always lived in good parts of town or been lucky, but I have no complaints. When I was 16, I came home and the alarm at the house was going off. I called the police, they were there within 10 minutes, and they walked through entire house with me to make sure it was safe. This was on Outer Drive in the early 1990s.

Then there was the whole fiasco with LAX. So the two times I've ever had any real interaction with DPD, they've been very good. Obviously, this isn't a representative sample, but let's not throw out the baby with the bathwater.

Now, keeping that in mind, and with full respect to Superstar, I have a hard time justifying the amount of force used to subdue this guy. My buddy is on the border patrol, and another one is an ICE agent. They both agree. It was excessive.

I'm smart enough to know that I don't know everything. There were events that led up to that video that deserve to be known. I know for me, I thought the whole McDonald's "spill coffee in my lap, make me a millionaire" thing was preposterous...until I learned that the coffee was so hot that it burned through her pants, her skin, and all the way to the bone. And that there were multiple documented warnings given to this franchise about their hot beverage safety. Kinda changes things a little, right?

I think the force was excessive. And I think the cops involve have a right to a full, un-tampered investigation. And I think that no matter what these guys did, it should have no relevance to how we look at DPD or police as a whole. We've already got the feds overseeing the complaints from the early 2000s, and -- although the pace has been unacceptable -- they are doing the things necessary to improve compliance.

How about we reserve judgment and see how this all plays out before jumping to conclusions.