Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Page 17 of 25 FirstFirst ... 7 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast

I also noticed that the frames of the real windows are recessed deeply into the exterior walls. The bricked up 'window frames' are not recessed It looks like they used the arches there just for appearances. A nice touch.

Bump....any new photos or neat things that are noticeable on the construction site? How far are they with cleaning the building?

I wonder if they have at least some respect to the original architecture by Louis Kamper and not plaster the windows with glass wall.

This is just a drive-by shot [[was in game-day traffic), but looks like they've powerwashed the whole facade. Even up to the top, it looks fantastic!

Wow, so nice to see the building looking so clean!

Broderick has new windows now!

Name:  IMG_0669.jpg
Views: 1658
Size:  35.8 KB

Walked by it this Sunday...looks clean and the windows seem to be going in...

Name:  photo.jpg
Views: 1553
Size:  29.8 KB

Those windows really make a difference. I'm really waiting to see the lower retail windows put in. Looks nice!

Uhg, tear down the monstrosity that is the people mover.

Quote Originally Posted by MDoyle View Post
    Uhg, tear down the monstrosity that is the people mover.
    lol... your comment reminded me of an old Bugs Bunny cartoon.... where Marvin the Martian wanted to blow up Earth... for the mere pretense that it blocked his view of Venus!

The PM may not suit everyone's taste... but it's photogenically it's light years ahead of Chicago's EL....

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    lol... your comment reminded me of an old Bugs Bunny cartoon.... where Marvin the Martian wanted to blow up Earth... for the mere pretense that it blocked his view of Venus!

The PM may not suit everyone's taste... but it's photogenically it's light years ahead of Chicago's EL....
    and 1/10th as useful

Quote Originally Posted by SaintMe View Post
    and 1/10th as useful
    ... unless you only come down as a tourist or on game days! Convenient and plenty of seating available...

It's going to look incredible once they are finished with the facade. Windows and the removal of scaffolding around the base of the building will be the day!

Quote Originally Posted by buckster1986 View Post
    It's going to look incredible once they are finished with the facade. Windows and the removal of scaffolding around the base of the building will be the day!
    And to think the Lee Press-On Bricks around the former Flaming Ember restaurant on the firrst floor... are confined to the dustbin of history!

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpeteer View Post
    That picture is really cool ! thanks !

Can't wait to look out of Comerica on opening day this spring and see the facade completed.

Quote Originally Posted by agrahlma View Post
    Quick question , maybe I'm not seeing this right , is it me or are there 3 arched windows at the top of the BT and on older pics and and post cards there are only 2 ? what gives ? here is a link to their facebook page and the pic in question. Name:  230971_185277658186977_185268824854527_439028_8303981_n.jpg
Views: 1623
Size:  40.2 KB

There are only two from that same angle.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitdave View Post
    Quick question , maybe I'm not seeing this right , is it me or are there 3 arched windows at the top of the BT and on older pics and and post cards there are only 2 ? what gives ? here is a link to their facebook page and the pic in question. Name:  230971_185277658186977_185268824854527_439028_8303981_n.jpg
Views: 1623
Size:  40.2 KB
    The 3 arches are on the south side of the building.

http://g.co/maps/6wcg2

Yes... the Broderick, like the David Whitney Building are shaped like Parallelograms, with the riverfacing side wider than the GCP side.

Detroitdave... that nice historic image of the Broderick/Eaton was before the top of the building got its' lobotomy... when the terra cotta cornice, and the small [[barely noticeable in that image) Chippendale Highboy top to the cornice were removed. It really is too bad that none of it is going to be replaced.

Yes... the Broderick, like the David Whitney Building are shaped like Parallelograms, with the riverfacing side wider than the GCP side.

Detroitdave... that nice historic image of the Broderick/Eaton was before the top of the building got its' lobotomy... when the terra cotta cornice, and the small [[barely noticeable in that image) Chippendale Highboy top to the cornice were removed. It really is too bad that none of it is going to be replaced.
    Actually, they are not shaped like parallelograms... parallelograms are actually comprised of two sets of parallel sides. These are trapezoids. Given the odd shape of the south wall of the Whitney Building, however, it probably doesn't even qualify as a trapezoid.

Quote Originally Posted by esp1986 View Post
    Actually, they are not shaped like parallelograms... parallelograms are actually comprised of two sets of parallel sides. These are trapezoids. Given the odd shape of the south wall of the Whitney Building, however, it probably doesn't even qualify as a trapezoid.
    Gee has it been that many years since Geometry class? Yup.... trapezoid was I was picturing... but to the wrong label...

No problem there. You're not the first person, won't be the last, and are certainly one of the more levelheaded people on these forums. Everywhere I look, someone is calling it a parallelogram. I guess I just finally got sick of it.
    Gee has it been that many years since Geometry class? Yup.... trapezoid was I was picturing... but to the wrong label...

Drove by today, windows are in all sides on the first four floors above retail

Page 17 of 25 FirstFirst ... 7 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast