Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post
I would say this is the larger problem.

Having been politically active since I was 18 and have even run for office myself, I can't understand why people don't take the time to research the candidates for themselves. We have become a nation of soundbites, and that is what we base our votes on. The media is partially responsible for this because they know it gets good ratings. Also, when you have stations that have entertainers masquerading as legitimate news anchors[[Beck, Hannity, Olberman, etc), they play up the soundbite angle because their audiences love it. The problem is many times they play only part of the bite, and take it out of context. Then the sheep believe it to be true and base their votes on that.

Furthermore, because the public is highly uninformed and ignorant, they cannot make good choices.

For example, in the Eighties, Michelle Bachmann would have been laughed at for her consideration as a Presidential hopeful. However, she leads the pack over viable candidates.

American is fastly becoming a nation of ignorants.

While the government, of China makes 20 year plans for projects and their national budget. America cannot make a budget for one year.

While the people of China applauds scientists and educators, we applaud entertainers.

Presently, you cannot trust the America people to make the choice for good leaders. Many will vote for people based upon popularity and not for intelligence.

Ignorant People elect Ignorant Leaders.