Quote Originally Posted by Detroitkid View Post
I don't think you are missing anything at all. But there will be some fallout from those who would rather see an independent store in its place.

I think the impact of having a tenant like Whole Foods set up shop in downtown Detroit will be more important than having a grocery store downtown. If Whole Foods sees an opportunity in Detroit what other companies will.
Agree. Especially companies that serve the young, middle and upper middle class demographics who can help restore the city's tax base.

I've chatted with some of the local coffee shop and restaurant owners. They seem really excited about this development because local farmers are telling them with WF, they'll be able to afford to grow more organic produce. Right now, most of what we get from EM is local-but-not-organic.

I'm most excited about the prospect of free range meats! I'm a carnivore and living near the A2 store spoiled me. I'm hoping we'll have a butcher there since I've waited forever and a day for Ye Olde Butcher Shoppe to open...

Also, one of my favorite parts of the A2 store on Washtenaw is the smokehouse. I'm sure we won't have that since this will be a smaller store, but a girl can dream, can't she?