Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Page 41 of 263 FirstFirst ... 31 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 51 91 141 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,025 of 6559

Quote Originally Posted by Campfire Girl View Post
    I presume photos will be sent to those "back home"! Sounds like quite a grand trip EB - be careful out there! I heard Deputy Fife's got a radar gun - and he gets it confused with the real one! North Carolina is a beautiful State! Enjoy!......and it's good to be back - thanks KR

Sorry, no pics I will be incognito

Quote Originally Posted by Eastburn View Post
    I'm riding down to Fontana Dam which is about 150 miles west of Asheville, just south of Smokey Mtn. Nat'l Park. Will be there until next Saturday. From there I head up to central PA to pick up my Mad Max rig. I'll leave the BMW there & take the VStrom rig home. A buddy who's an airline pilot will fly out to PA & ride the Beemer home for me.

I'll be leaving 6/16 on the MM rig for the US Sidecar Ass'n rally in S. Lake Tahoe, then up the CA coast to Portland, then back via Gd. Teton, Yellowstone & Mt. Rushmore.

Going to be having dinner with Z on the way out. Probably no Polish food, though.
    I had better see a ton of pictures of the Grand Tetons, Yellowstone and Rushmore. The Tetons are my dream trip. I want to go to Jackson Hole in the worst way.
    My nephew lives near Charlotte, NC, and is a chef/instructor at Johnson and Wales there. He's getting married next fall and I think I'm going down for it.
    Oh, and if you get a chance, stop off in Portland and take some pics of the International Rose Test Gardens, please.

I presume photos will be sent to those "back home"! Sounds like quite a grand trip EB - be careful out there! I heard Deputy Fife's got a radar gun - and he gets it confused with the real one! North Carolina is a beautiful State! Enjoy!......and it's good to be back - thanks KR
    CFG: LMAO..... EB: You better be careful if you're riding through Mayberry. Hopefully, Barney doesn't load his radar gun with his one bullet

Quote Originally Posted by zitro View Post
    Don't forget Howard, Opie, Gomer, Otis, Helen, Thelma Lou & Ellie. And who could forget Sarah the Operator
    ...Aunt Clara, Howard Spraig, Floyd, Emmit and his wife, and Juniata...

Sorry, no pics I will be incognito
    You can't be too careful.

A photo of St. Jude Church as viewed from my back yard on Eastwood back in the day. It was and is a powerful beacon in that community.

Quote Originally Posted by kellyroad View Post
    A photo of St. Jude Church as viewed from my back yard on Eastwood back in the day. It was and is a powerful beacon in that community.

That's a kool pic right there

Yea, but I'll be packin', too. And I've got more than one cartridge.

KR - VERY COOL! I love that picture. Our house faced Morang and Kelly - so we got the Denby Beacon light flashing in the distance from our upstairs bedroom.

EB, Z - you don't have to post the pictures - you could just send them to us????? We promise not to publish......well, I promise not to publish!~ :-)

I woke up every morning to the sound of the Angelus bells at 8 a.m. and could look out my window and see the church steeple in its full glory. I will admit that the sound of those bells on Saturdays and during the summer wasn't all that welcome when I became a teen, but I really would love to hear them now.

We were working on the grounds for a few hours after Mass on Monday - and at noon - the bells were awesome. Yes, JC - it is a joy to hear them ring!

Looking at KR's pick it reminded me of something. Those telephone poles used to have to have those climbing spikes in them. Did anyone ever make it close to the top of one of those. I know I made it up a few rungs but not much further than that.

Z - good question - I always found those climbingh spikes tempting, but never got the nerve to try it!

The first set were pretty high up off the ground, so as a little kid, I couldn't get my leg up high enough, and later, it lost its appeal

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    The first set were pretty high up off the ground, so as a little kid, I couldn't get my leg up high enough, and later, it lost its appeal

That's what buddies backs were for

Try to remember, I was a girl. We didn't have 'buddies'. We had girlfriends, and girlfriends didn't stand on each others backs. I had friends that were boys, too, but they wouldn't have let me climb up the pole. It was the 60's and girls still needed protecting.
    When we played army, I was always the nurse. Cowboys and Indians, the helpless little farm wife who had to be saved.

Try to remember, I was a girl. We didn't have 'buddies'. We had girlfriends, and girlfriends didn't stand on each others backs. I had friends that were boys, too, but they wouldn't have let me climb up the pole. It was the 60's and girls still needed protecting.
    When we played army, I was always the nurse. Cowboys and Indians, the helpless little farm wife who had to be saved.
    Russle me up a mud pie.

Oh, and I need some mercurachrome and a bandaid. My finger got pinched in my cap gun.

Funny this coming from a helpless waif who claimed to play football with the neighborhood guys when she was a lass

Looking at KR's pick it reminded me of something. Those telephone poles used to have to have those climbing spikes in them. Did anyone ever make it close to the top of one of those. I know I made it up a few rungs but not much further than that.
    Certainly not the one in the picture, the neighboors and the parents kept pretty tight rein on the kids and telephone poles. "Those are high volt wires and can kill you instantly" was a refrain that kept the spirit of adventure under wraps. Like you, only a few rungs were made. [[The first one was the toughest). The 7_and_Kelly_Kid and I ususually targeted the telephone poles with alley rocks on our way to George's party store.....Life was good!

I woke up every morning to the sound of the Angelus bells at 8 a.m. and could look out my window and see the church steeple in its full glory. I will admit that the sound of those bells on Saturdays and during the summer wasn't all that welcome when I became a teen, but I really would love to hear them now.
    Ask and ye shall receive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2Fl1aE5qVU
    Last edited by 7andkelly; May-29-09 at 07:42 PM.

Funny this coming from a helpless waif who claimed to play football with the neighborhood guys when she was a lass
    I did, but girls didn't let girls climb on their backs, and when we were little [[army and cowboy and indian age) the boys didn't like us to touch them. By the time we were football age, you couldn't get them to stop touching us.

KR - VERY COOL! I love that picture. Our house faced Morang and Kelly - so we got the Denby Beacon light flashing in the distance from our upstairs bedroom.
    Well my house on Nottingham just north of Britain faced west, and incredible as it may seem there was just enough of a break in the houses and trees along all that distance that we were able to see the Denby Beacon light flashing from our living room window.

It was quite a local landmark. I remember later taking long runs and walks and judging the impressiveness of my distances by how much further away than usual the Denby Tower seemed to be!!!

Here's an up-close shot of that Denby Beacon, taken right from the end of Britain at Duchess - as with most of the rest that I've posted here, taken in about April of 2001.

Attachment 1487
    Last edited by EMG; November-01-10 at 05:00 PM.

I did, but girls didn't let girls climb on their backs, and when we were little [[army and cowboy and indian age) the boys didn't like us to touch them. By the time we were football age, you couldn't get them to stop touching us.

So, what's your point, Z?

The slower we are to get started, the more we have to make up for lost time!

Page 41 of 263 FirstFirst ... 31 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 51 91 141 ... LastLast