Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Detroit is defiantly worse than ever. This truth is covered up by a media campaign promoting greater Downtown. But even there, things are worse now. There was a slight bump in the 2000's with increase investment, but it has now all but stalled. Downtown has fewer stores than ever before, and there are almost no stores left on Lower Woodward. Venture a mile outside of Downtown and commercial strips and neighborhoods that were occupied into the 90s are now ghost towns. The Detroit boosters just don't want to admit how bad Detroit really is. Sure, life isn't that bad if you are privileged enough to have a nice car and a nice house on one of the few nice streets. But for most of Detroit, every day is a struggle as buildings burn and crumble day by day, and more and more people flee for something better. Let's face it, Detroit is not going to stop crumbling, unless there is some sort of revolution in America.

A prominent economist says the city of Detroit needs federal aid to get on its feet again.
    Jeffrey Sachs, director of the Earth Institute and a special adviser to the United Nations secretary general who has written extensively about development, said his hometown needs help.
    "The kind of collapse going on in Detroit is of a scale that's hardly been seen before," said Sachs, a Detroit native who grew up in Oak Park and graduated from Oak Park High School in 1972.
    "It requires a massive and integrated solution for job development, for education. Detroit needs more fiscal help from the federal government and can't do this all on its own," Sachs said.

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20110526/...#ixzz1O3ZTNvf1

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Bham1928... gotta agree on the immigration issue... Thank the Lord...

It also helps keep east Dearborn vibrant... with the immigration from Middle-East countries. Ya gotta love the car washes [[with a touch of home) with the LED lit fake palm trees along the perimeter....
    Those Palm trees of which you speak are actually in Warrendale!

If you look at this from the perspective of a younger person such as myself, Detroit seems to be in a lot better shape then it was when I was a little kid [[by Detroit, I mean specifically downtownand in the late 80's early 90's). Being 25, I remember when my dad would take us downtown for events and he wouldn't bring us anywhere but our destination and then we would leave directly after. He said there wasn't really much else to see down there. As I've gotten older, I've watched Detroit climb and fall, and now presently it seems to be on an upswing again. Obviously there is a lot of work to be done, but there are plenty of encouraging signs. I soon plan to move into the CBD downtown because of these improvements and the headway being made. If I felt there was nothing down there and it was too dangerous, I'd just get an apartment in Royal Oak or Troy. I think I'm one of the growing number of a younger generation who's grown up in the suburbs but wants to be in the city center. Hopefully the progression continues and Detroit can attract more individuals like myself.

Quote Originally Posted by SWMAP View Post
    "It requires a massive and integrated solution for job development, for education. Detroit needs more fiscal help from the federal government and can't do this all on its own," Sachs said.
    I don't think throwing a bunch of money at Detroit is going to help it without some REALLY SERIOUS attitude changes around here.

In terms of Aesthetics....

Civic Buildings and Places
    Present Day the city looks better. New parks and spaces. New stadiums. All of these have helped improve Detroit's reputation.

Built environment / Architecture
    80's and 90's hands down. Simply put, there was more occupied building stock around, many of it architecturally appealing. I don't know how you could possibly say no to this answer unless you think a depopulated Detroit is better aesthetic.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Those Palm trees of which you speak are actually in Warrendale!
    You're talking to an Eastsider.... differentiating where Detroit ends and Dearborn begins is a challenge for us Eastsiders...

We have it easy borderwise on the Eastside... 8 Mile, Kelly Rd., Hillcrest St., and Mack Ave....

Also... I saw those same Palms on Telegraph in Flat Rock [[or was it Brownstown Twp?).

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    If you look at this from the perspective of a younger person such as myself, Detroit seems to be in a lot better shape then it was when I was a little kid [[by Detroit, I mean specifically downtownand in the late 80's early 90's). Being 25, I remember when my dad would take us downtown for events and he wouldn't bring us anywhere but our destination and then we would leave directly after. He said there wasn't really much else to see down there. As I've gotten older, I've watched Detroit climb and fall, and now presently it seems to be on an upswing again. Obviously there is a lot of work to be done, but there are plenty of encouraging signs. I soon plan to move into the CBD downtown because of these improvements and the headway being made. If I felt there was nothing down there and it was too dangerous, I'd just get an apartment in Royal Oak or Troy. I think I'm one of the growing number of a younger generation who's grown up in the suburbs but wants to be in the city center. Hopefully the progression continues and Detroit can attract more individuals like myself.
    It is encouraging that young people want to live in Detroit and in urban neighborhoods. But a pattern I have seen first hand as a young person myself is people moving to the city from the burbs then moving to another city a few years later. There aren't many in their late 20s around Midtown. Most of the venues and bars have college aged people. After college, I feel most move to other cities such as Chicago or NYC or any city with vibrant urban neighborhoods, public transit and jobs. It's just a logical choice for many.

If you look at this from the perspective of a younger person such as myself, Detroit seems to be in a lot better shape then it was when I was a little kid [[by Detroit, I mean specifically downtownand in the late 80's early 90's). .
    Go ez on the old guy, there weren't too many kid-friendly things going on in the CBD back then in the stone ages. Now, when I was a kid we rode our dinosaurs all over town and no one bothered us.

This probably isn't the case for the entire city, but for downtown Detroit, the lowest point was the winter of 1998-1999.

Quote Originally Posted by wolverine View Post
    In terms of Aesthetics....

Civic Buildings and Places
    Present Day the city looks better. New parks and spaces. New stadiums. All of these have helped improve Detroit's reputation.

Built environment / Architecture
    80's and 90's hands down. Simply put, there was more occupied building stock around, many of it architecturally appealing. I don't know how you could possibly say no to this answer unless you think a depopulated Detroit is better aesthetic.
    Not too sure where those better looking parks and spaces you mentioned actually are, I can think of Riverwalk, and that's about it. The vast majority of the neighborhood parks that I see look absolutely terrible - totally overgrown with waist high weeds, tattered equipment. They're hardly even noticable as playgrounds or parks.

As far as Detroit's reputation goes, when you talk to people for other states or other countries about the city, it's reputation doesn't seem very good at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    You're talking to an Eastsider.... differentiating where Detroit ends and Dearborn begins is a challenge for us Eastsiders...

We have it easy borderwise on the Eastside... 8 Mile, Kelly Rd., Hillcrest St., and Mack Ave....

Also... I saw those same Palms on Telegraph in Flat Rock [[or was it Brownstown Twp?).

There are palmtrees on Telegraph in Taylor too. The Palmtree of which you speak are actually in several places some in Dearborn around Warren and Chase and in front of the Car was in Warrendale across the street from Dearborn.

Still the neighborhoods of today are in shambles. With the neighborhoods in shambles the tax base will dry up. Very sad.
    Last edited by DetroitPlanner; June-02-11 at 07:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by casscorridor View Post
    It is encouraging that young people want to live in Detroit and in urban neighborhoods. But a pattern I have seen first hand as a young person myself is people moving to the city from the burbs then moving to another city a few years later. There aren't many in their late 20s around Midtown. Most of the venues and bars have college aged people. After college, I feel most move to other cities such as Chicago or NYC or any city with vibrant urban neighborhoods, public transit and jobs. It's just a logical choice for many.

That is true, but the one thing that I'd considered before I decided to move downtown was how affordable was it. I can live in the Broderick Tower next year on a main thoroughfare for $600-$900 a month in a renovated high rise. Living in downtown Chicago is completely out of the question when it comes to being affordable. I have friends who live in the outskirts of Chicago and they are paying $900 a month EACH with 3 other roommates.

Default Warrendale went to hell

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1r606ceh8Ik

This is a video I took a little over a month ago. I start outside my childhood home, on 6065 Piedmont. I travel past 7774 Plainview, where my aunt, uncle, and cousins once lived.

This was a stable neighborhood throughout my childhood. My parents, sister, and I moved out in 2002 because we [[we being my parents) were tired of the high taxes and noticed a pattern of renters moving into the neighborhood.

6065 Piedmont was sold for $100,000 in 2002. We were lucky. The house was in great shape and had top-notch air conditioning, refurbished bathroom, finished basement, etc.

It's boarded up now. The vacant lot to the left had a meth house in it after we left and was torn down. 2/3 of the houses on both sides of the street are vacant, many openly. All of my childhood landmarks, save St. Thomas Aquinas Catholic Church and STAR Auto Wash, are gone.

The house is listed as $5,000 last time I looked.

To me, Warrendale served as a cautionary tale to never consider moving back into the city. I'm 25, and I don't see the root causes of Detroit's demise reversing themselves in my lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by motownmark04 View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1r606ceh8Ik

This is a video I took a little over a month ago. I start outside my childhood home, on 6065 Piedmont. I travel past 7774 Plainview, where my aunt, uncle, and cousins once lived.

This was a stable neighborhood throughout my childhood. My parents, sister, and I moved out in 2002 because we [[we being my parents) were tired of the high taxes and noticed a pattern of renters moving into the neighborhood.

6065 Piedmont was sold for $100,000 in 2002. We were lucky. The house was in great shape and had top-notch air conditioning, refurbished bathroom, finished basement, etc.

It's boarded up now. The vacant lot to the left had a meth house in it after we left and was torn down. 2/3 of the houses on both sides of the street are vacant, many openly. All of my childhood landmarks, save St. Thomas Aquinas Catholic Church and STAR Auto Wash, are gone.

The house is listed as $5,000 last time I looked.

To me, Warrendale served as a cautionary tale to never consider moving back into the city. I'm 25, and I don't see the root causes of Detroit's demise reversing themselves in my lifetime.
    This video shows exactly what I'm talking about in Warrendale where I once lived & where Detroit_Uke still lives.

Motownmark - didn't watch the entire video...too depressing. Don't know if you showed the old Leslie school. It's been empty for about 5 years now. Filled with waist high grass and weeds. The graffiti is there. You should have caught the block of Auburn between Dayton and Paul. Can you imagine a family house hunting wanting to buy here? What's the draw? Nothing is within walking distance...there is a drugstore nearby - but I won't walk there anymore - that's for the young and brave.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit_uke View Post
    Motownmark - didn't watch the entire video...too depressing. Don't know if you showed the old Leslie school. It's been empty for about 5 years now. Filled with waist high grass and weeds. The graffiti is there. You should have caught the block of Auburn between Dayton and Paul. Can you imagine a family house hunting wanting to buy here? What's the draw? Nothing is within walking distance...there is a drugstore nearby - but I won't walk there anymore - that's for the young and brave.
    I've been down that block recently, too. My childhood best friend's grandparents lived across from Leslie school on Auburn, about 3 or 4 houses from the corner of Paul/Auburn. Like the rest of the neighborhood, it is in a state of ruination.

I've got a very powerful memory and imagination, and when I remember what the neighborhood was like in the '90s versus what it is now, I literally feel like vomiting. Disgust and despair overwhelm me when I drive through that area, yet I continue to do so with a morbid curiosity.

I show that video to every twentysomething person who says that "Detroit is coming back ..." Don't give me that bullshit. Detroit's backbone was pure middle class and that middle class, both black and white, have long fled for safer terrains. They're not coming back anytime soon, either.

They also don't believe how close that area is to Dearborn and Dearborn Heights. In the 1990s, Warrendale, Dearborn, and Dearborn Heights were virtually indistinguishable save for the trained eye, those who paid attention to detail.
    Last edited by motownmark04; June-02-11 at 09:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    Not too sure where those better looking parks and spaces you mentioned actually are, I can think of Riverwalk, and that's about it. The vast majority of the neighborhood parks that I see look absolutely terrible - totally overgrown with waist high weeds, tattered equipment. They're hardly even noticable as playgrounds or parks.

As far as Detroit's reputation goes, when you talk to people for other states or other countries about the city, it's reputation doesn't seem very good at all.
    You are right, but a question I have is the parks really changed at all over the decades or always just been lousy. I think the big civic places made a difference. When visitors come to Detroit, that's all they ever see. At least, that's all the city wants them to see. As for the residents, they definitely know the truth..

That is true, but the one thing that I'd considered before I decided to move downtown was how affordable was it. I can live in the Broderick Tower next year on a main thoroughfare for $600-$900 a month in a renovated high rise. Living in downtown Chicago is completely out of the question when it comes to being affordable. I have friends who live in the outskirts of Chicago and they are paying $900 a month EACH with 3 other roommates.
    Skipper's Rule #1.

Regardless of how bad Detroit is, there are always urban pioneers and explorers willing to move in, rehab, build and start anew. The problem is that once they've given their all to their projects and the city, they get insulted and manhandled by the DPD and City Hall. Time to go!!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3