Quote Originally Posted by j to the jeremy View Post
But back to the topic. I think it's really too bad that iconic stations had to move out of downtown. Clear Channel is in control here. Otherwise we'd still have something called the "State Theater".
Ummm.... let me clear up a misconception here....

The State Theatre opened as the State in 1925, changed names to the Palms State in 1937, changed to the Palms Theatre in 1949, changed back to the State in 1982, and changed again to the Fillmore in 2007.

The 1/2 restored [[under owner Chuck Forbes) theatre didn't have SQUAT done to it while the Clear Channel folks were in control for several years.

Once LiveNations took over [[leasing) the State became the Fillmore Theatre in 2007... the LiveNations folks have started up the INCOMPLETE theatre restoration that languished during the Clear Channel years... LiveNations have added 6 crystal chandeliers to the auditorium, 1 chandelier to the Rotunda Lobby.... they have finished the restoration of the 3 story Grand Foyer [[left unfinished since 2002)... and have RESTARTED the restoration of the Auditorium using new extended arm cherry pickers to restore the plasterwork in lofty spaces [[thus reducing costly theatre downtime with scaffolding).

LiveNations has also added to the empty side walls of the Outer Lobby and Grand Foyer... a large colorful collection of framed posters of their old concerts [[visitors are often distracted by this large and spectacular collection of artwork).

As Preservation Wayne's lead tour guide of the State-Palms-Filmore since 1999, I can say with certainty that the Fillmore Theatre is gradually being very lovingly restored by the LiveNations folks... and the name change is a moot point.... after all the ruined Grand Circus Theatre became the Detroit Opera House in 1996... and in 1945 the Wilson Theatre became Music Hall...