Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Page 38 of 263 FirstFirst ... 28 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 48 88 138 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Eastburn View Post
    As I recall, the parish bought Fr. Ording a new Buick Roadmaster every 2 - 3 years. Couldn't have the pastor of such a grand church driving a heap.
    I understand that Fr. Ording came from a family of means and certainly the diocese priests did not take the vow of poverty. Do you recall the Chrysler [[Newport or Imperial) Fr. Ording received from the parish on his 40th anniversary of his ordination?

KR, Ion't know who decided on the style of the church.

Fr. Ording owned a cottage on Orchard Lake but I don't recall it being very fancy. I was there with my folks once.

While not of St. Jude itself, here are a few more pictures that may be of interest to some who lived in the area. Most are of the Heilmann Field and Burbank School areas. Most of these were taken in fall of 2001.

Boulder northbound at about Liberal:

Attachment 1351

The old Frozen Custard stand at Brock and 7 mile:

Attachment 1352

Brock southbound just south of State Fair:

Attachment 1353

Rex northbound at Rossini:

Attachment 1354

Crusade northbound at about Lappin [[this was always the most patched over bumpy-pavement street in the area):

Attachment 1355
    Last edited by EMG; November-01-10 at 05:00 PM.

Isn't the ice cream store pic the place that used to be a beer store, and Vetare's was next door?

Burbank School is at the left of this picture of Crusade southbound from south of State Fair.

Attachment 1358

Another shot of southbound Crusade just west of Burbank School, with Heilmann field and recreation area building to the right.

Attachment 1359

Cushing southbound at about Carlisle.

Attachment 1360

Eight Mile Road eastbound, somewhere between Redmond and Cushing [[sorry, don't remember more specifically than that, but at least I've narrowed it down to four blocks for you!)

Attachment 1361

Heilmann Recreation Center, shot from the end of westbound Liberal at Crusade. The pool was in the building; the outdoor skating rink is to the right of the building. I went skating there many times.

Attachment 1362

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Isn't the ice cream store pic the place that used to be a beer store, and Vetare's was next door?
    The beer store and Vetare's must have been before my time, because I don't remember them. Not to say they couldn't have been there after my birth, just that I didn't go to that area before it was a frozen custard place.

At the time that I left Michigan shortly after the taking of that picture, I believe the ice cream store was shut down and boarded up [[though that could have been just due to the season) and just west of it was a barber shop called Hair Force One.

The north side of Heilmann field, taken facing directly southbound from State Fair between Brock and Crusade:

Attachment 1363

A shot taken from State Fair near Crusade, showing the northeast corner of Heilmann field and a bit of Burbank School in the background:

Attachment 1364

Eastbound Liberal between Boulder and Cordell [[despite the fact that I misnamed the file as Boulder to Crusade and didn't catch it until after I uploaded):

Attachment 1365

Facing southwest from the corner of Crusade and Maddelein. The church in the background [[can't remember the name of it) was at the corner of Morang and 7 Mile.

Attachment 1366

And a shot of Redmond northbound from just north of Seven Mile. And, of course, part of St. Jude's to the left.

Attachment 1367

Rex northbound at Edmore:

Attachment 1368

Rex northbound at about Tacoma with Burbank School to the left [[this whole area was a relatively recent addition so this part of the building will not be recognizable to those who have been out of the area for more than about 20 years):

Attachment 1369

Rossini westbound from Crusade to Brock:

Attachment 1370

Morang westbound at about Parkgrove [[a block west of Kelly):

Attachment 1371

Rex southbound towards the end at Linnhurst:

Attachment 1372

Finally, two more shots of the parking lot across the street from St. Jude's, shot both from the east [[Redmond) and the west [[Rex).

- This concludes all I have to offer in the way of pictorial tour of the St. Jude neighborhoods -

Attachment 1373

Attachment 1374

I think you're right JC Brock Party Store.

Thanks so very much for the pics EMG. These are great. You even caught the block I grew up on. Liberal between Cordell and Boulder. You can't see it in the pic but it was 5 houses down from the large house in the middle of the block on the right side of the pic. For those 70' grads Judy Bialk lived 2 houses this side of the large house and for the 71' grads Mark DeVolder lived in between the two.

Interesting to see that it was "the large house" that caught your eye as well as mine. That landmark was actually one of the reasons that particular block was one of my favorites and one that I made sure to capture. The other was the relative sparsity of trees, which made it a bit unusual in that neighborhood.

Quote Originally Posted by EMG View Post
    The beer store and Vetare's must have been before my time, because I don't remember them. Not to say they couldn't have been there after my birth, just that I didn't go to that area before it was a frozen custard place.

At the time that I left Michigan shortly after the taking of that picture, I believe the ice cream store was shut down and boarded up [[though that could have been just due to the season) and just west of it was a barber shop called Hair Force One.
    Wasn't there a beer store AND a party store on the corner of Brock and 7 Mile? At one time there was a house [[I believe by Vetere's) which was torn down in the 60s.

Nice pics EMG. It's always nice to go down memory lane in that neighborhood.

Quote Originally Posted by kellyroad View Post
    Wasn't there a beer store AND a party store on the corner of Brock and 7 Mile? At one time there was a house [[I believe by Vetere's) which was torn down in the 60s.

Nice pics EMG. It's always nice to go down memory lane in that neighborhood.
    You're welcome. Was the house you're thinking of a big, wooden house painted white? If so, I think I vaguely remember it. If it's the one I'm thinking of, that house was actually owned by the Salter family [[for which Salter street, which ran parallel to and east of Brock south of 7 mile, was named. I know this because in the mid-50's my mother attended Denby with a member of the Salter family, and they remain friends to this day).

By the way, I see more of that neighborhood is slowly but surely being added to StreetView on Google Earth. If you have Google Earth, just type in "48205" or "48224" - you can zoom in on places by zip code - and then zero in on the area. Where you see cameras you can click on the camera and be taken into a 360-degree panorama as if you were right there. Seven Mile and Kelly both now have Street View in that area, and I notice today that Seymour has actually been added since the last time I checked.

Interesting to see that it was "the large house" that caught your eye as well as mine. That landmark was actually one of the reasons that particular block was one of my favorites and one that I made sure to capture. The other was the relative sparsity of trees, which made it a bit unusual in that neighborhood.

The man that lived in that house with his family was called Grandpa by all the kids and was of German descent. He loved to build and fix all of the neighboorhood kids bikes. He was always proud to show me the deep scar he had on his skull from getting grazed by a bullet in WWI

Oh for the days when it was still safe for kids to befriend adult neighbors.....

Anyway, since you grew up in that area, here are some additional pictures for you. Kelly Road between Moross and Eight Mile. I hadn't included these before because I have them filed in my "Harper Woods" rather than "St. Jude" folder...

Looking north on Kelly from Moross:

Attachment 1376

NB Kelly at Huntington - the "Mr. S" used to be Mr. C's Deli throughout much of the 80's.

Attachment 1377

Looking at Regina high school from the "front lawn" of Lutheran East:

Attachment 1378

The Silver Dragon Chinese restaurant which I believe was just north of Woodside:

Attachment 1379

And a shot of NB Kelly approaching State Fair:

Attachment 1380

And one more, of the Polla's Market on NB Kelly near Kenosha:

Attachment 1381

And one more, of the Polla's Market on NB Kelly near Kenosha:

Attachment 1381

Thanks again EMG. You just saved me about $500.00, now I don't have to come back there for any reason for a while

Exactly. Before leaving, I made sure to capture all the memories I'd want for a lifetime, as I'm NEVER going back there.

I don't ever want to see snow again for as long as I live, unless it's on a video.
    Last edited by EMG; May-23-09 at 02:53 PM.

A special Memorial Day salute to of the veterans who have and still keep us safe. Especially the 10 fellow St. Judiians who fell in Vietnam. Courtesy of SJ Nostalgia on the St. Jude FB page. I can't read all of the names. I knew Paul Mannerow and Brian McCarthey who graduated with my brother. Jimmie Cools funeral was sung by the choir. Thanks for your sevice gentlemen.
    Last edited by zitro; March-01-10 at 12:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zitro View Post
    A special Memorial Day salute to of the veterans who have and still keep us safe. Especially the 10 fellow St. Judiians who fell in Vietnam. Courtesy of SJ Nostalgia on the St. Jude FB page. I can't read all of the names. I knew Paul Mannerow and Brian McCarthey who graduated with my brother. Jimmie Cools funeral was sung by the choir. Thanks for your sevice gentlemen.
    2 of the 3 veterans you mentioned I knew directly or by being a brother of a classmate. They will not be forgotten. MTRIP.

Quote Originally Posted by zitro View Post
    Thanks again EMG. You just saved me about $500.00, now I don't have to come back there for any reason for a while
    Oh, sure, we're not a good enough reason to come back. All you want to see is old buildings and baseball diamonds. <sniff>

I think the building 'Mr. S' formerly known as 'Mr. C' is next to was formerly a head shop when I was at Regina. 'Mr. C/S' was a party store that sold great slices back then
    Do you remember that Z?

Oh, sure, we're not a good enough reason to come back. All you want to see is old buildings and baseball diamonds. <sniff>

Oh yeah I forgot about you guys. I guess I'll have to come back anyway

Page 38 of 263 FirstFirst ... 28 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 48 88 138 ... LastLast