Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post

I think you'd find a line up of students coming out of Wayne State, Cooley, U of D and other law schools around here for a job at a patent law firm.
    True, but, generally engineering backgrounds are required thus the pool gets shallow very fast.

Yeah, and it's not like Detroit has one of the nation's best law schools and one of the nation's best colleges of engineering right in its own backyard.

Forget people relocating to Michigan, for a moment. You can't even hold onto talent you *already have*.

Keep on keepin on with your ostrich syndrome. We've seen how well that works. At least you'll have a vinyl-sided tract home a mere 5 miles down the 10-lane road from the nearest strip mall. And at the end of the day, isn't that what we all really want?
    Last edited by ghettopalmetto; March-16-11 at 09:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ghettopalmetto View Post
    Yeah, and it's not like Detroit has one of the nation's best law schools and one of the nation's best colleges of engineering right in its own backyard.

Forget people relocating to Michigan, for a moment. You can't even hold onto talent you *already have*.

Keep on keepin on with your ostrich syndrome. We've seen how well that works. At least you'll have a vinyl-sided tract home a mere 5 miles down the 10-lane road from the nearest strip mall. And at the end of the day, isn't that what we all really want?
    That is great that Ann Arbor has two really good schools. The percentage of those who are both engineers AND lawyers is pretty small. That was point I was making.

Also, UM is not traditionally a place where the law grads had any intention of staying in Michigan in the first place 80% of the students are non-residents [[that's from their own numbers btw...not some anecdote) not only that, but Detroit has never supported the type of wages one would see in the major markets for a top 25 law school grad.

I'm not defending the status quo here. I'm objecting to out of state lectures from people directly fucking responsible for both the brain drain and the sprawl whining about how Detroit sucks. blow me senior partner, move your offices to downtown and be part of the solution or shut the fuck up.

[[ps. Bartok...I agree the grads are there, but I'm assuming this firm..since it has taken the time and spent the money on national recruiting firms, has no intention of interviewing local grads from tier 4 law schools.)
    Last edited by bailey; March-16-11 at 10:16 AM.

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    That is great that Ann Arbor has two really good schools. The percentage of those who are both engineers AND lawyers is pretty small. That was point I was making.

Also, UM is not traditionally a place where the law grads had any intention of staying in Michigan in the first place 80% of the students are non-residents [[that's from their own numbers btw...not some anecdote) not only that, but Detroit has never supported the type of wages one would see in the major markets for a top 25 law school grad.

I'm not defending the status quo here. I'm objecting to out of state lectures from people directly fucking responsible for both the brain drain and the sprawl whining about how Detroit sucks. blow me senior partner, move your offices to downtown and be part of the solution or shut the fuck up.

[[ps. Bartok...I agree the grads are there, but I'm assuming this firm..since it has taken the time and spent the money on national recruiting firms, has no intention of interviewing local grads from tier 4 law schools.)
    Good point, Baily. I'd also add with regard to U of M that hardly any of their graduates take the MI bar exam, for the reasons you mentioned.