Quote Originally Posted by SWMAP View Post
Paczki Day is a horrible, money-grabbing development. It must have grown out of the immanent self-denial of the faithful of eggs and sweets during Lent. But if you aren't keeping Lent, what's the point of just stuffing yourself with cheap pie fillings in sweet dough? They taste terrible. Sad that our big claim to fame would be with yucky, gross oozing pastry. And really what else is Paczki Day? Any art, music, bars, restaurants, parades? Anything?

I can't wait until it dies.

And for real Poles the celebration iof Polish heritage is on March 19 - St. Joseph's Day.
I don't really care for the Paczki part, just because they're so unhealthy, and because people here use it as an opportunity to gorge themselves on them. We are a fat region, and it makes us look even fatter and grosser.

Mardi Gras is not really a religious holiday. I don't really blame anyone for hi-jacking anything. My complaint was that Hamtramck bars were rather dead this year. I expected a fun, festival atmosphere. Instead there were just groups of rather angry drunks hunkered down in the corners of the bars. Does anybody in this region know how to have fun?? New Orleans has Mardi Gras, and virtually ever Latin country has Carnaval, and we have some oversized donuts for the obese of our region and belligerently wasted alcoholics in dive bars? It is a real drag.

If anything I wish Fat Tuesday were more irreverent, if that could make it any more fun. Now, what I do have a problem with are people who do not celebrate Lent in a religious sense using it as a second New Years resolution. Unlike Fat Tuesday, Lent is a religious season, and I think it would be just as offensive if non-practicing Americans started using Ramadaan as a diet.