Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Threaded View

Default I'm in Detroit so I do whatever I wanna do

Wow, isn't it great? You can do whatever you want to do in Detroit.

You want to break into a building and cover it with paint? Just make sure you are in Detroit and call it 'art'.
    Wanna take rip through the streets in a snowmobile? Just make sure you are in Detroit and have enough people with you to feel legitimate.

I have a problem with people who [[1) do wrong in Detroit and [[2) popularize their activities as cool.
    They fail to see that illegal activities, when committed in Detroit, are still illegal.

"I am not a bad person, I am making the city more hip and thus contributing to its comeback."
    Contributing to law-does-not-matter/criminal mideset is hurting Detroit.

How about actually contributing to society by doing something useful.
    Create legal art or open an art gallery.
    Create a business where people can ride snomobiles or motocross bikes depending on the season.

For clarification . . .
    This is not about who commits the crime or even the obvious fact that people commit crimes.
    It is the smugness that leads a person to draw public attention to the crime and the implication that flows from it- That the illegal activity is not a crime!

For example:
    You are a bad person for beating a homeless man for no reason, you are worse for posting the video on Youtube.com.
    You are a bad person for vandalizing community buildings and even a worse person for enshrining the activity with a public website and solicitng online traffic from those interested in the community generally.
    Last edited by majohnson; February-16-11 at 06:38 PM.