Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Page 35 of 263 FirstFirst ... 25 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 45 85 135 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Eastburn View Post
    No, I wasn't. At least I don't remember being there. Of course, I don't remember what I had for breakfast.

I remember a "sweet shop" that had a soda fountain & penny candy across from Denby.

My buddy Paul & I rode our bikes from Eastburn to Denby [[pretty good ride for an 8 year old) for swimming lessons. If we had a nickel, we'd hit the sweet shop after.

This pic is from the 43' Denby Navigotor and I'm sure it's taken from the Denby Sweet Shop. The apprarent happy go lucky looks on the faces of these teens belies the fact we were soundly entrenched in the battles of WWII and many of their schoolmates were in far off lands protecting their freedom
    Last edited by zitro; March-01-10 at 12:14 PM.

Great pic Z! That brings up a question, does anyone know what year Denby opened?

Quote Originally Posted by Tsomyak View Post
    Great pic Z! That brings up a question, does anyone know what year Denby opened?

It looks like 1930

Quote Originally Posted by Campfire Girl View Post
    The push button to change the light at the corner of Rex and 7 mile
    Good one CFG! The number of nasty stares the 7_and_Kid and I received by pushing that button on non-school days, especially by those traveling north on Rex were too numerous to count.

Quote Originally Posted by zitro View Post
    This pic is from the 43' Denby Navigotor and I'm sure it's taken from the Denby Sweet Shop. The apprarent happy go lucky looks on the faces of these teens belies the fact we were soundly entrenched in the battles of WWII and many of their schoolmates were in far off lands protecting their freedom
    Z: Do you recall if the Denby Sweet Shop was north or south of Seymour?

Quote Originally Posted by kellyroad View Post
    Z: Do you recall if the Denby Sweet Shop was north or south of Seymour?

My recall was that is was about 2 blocks south of Seymour

Quote Originally Posted by Mkap View Post
    My son entered a short film festival contest. They were given the title " The Last Time We Met " to work with by the festival. He and his roommate put together this three minute piece. Hope you enjoy it! And please pass it on if you do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wq9mE...e=channel_page
    An interesting and sobering reflection of what's going on. ........How did the film do in the contest?

Quote Originally Posted by Eastburn View Post
    No, I wasn't. At least I don't remember being there. Of course, I don't remember what I had for breakfast.

I remember a "sweet shop" that had a soda fountain & penny candy across from Denby.

My buddy Paul & I rode our bikes from Eastburn to Denby [[pretty good ride for an 8 year old) for swimming lessons. If we had a nickel, we'd hit the sweet shop after.
    On a related note, and I do ask the following questions in all seriousness.. Does anyone know if the Detroit Public School system still have swim teams? Do Denby, Osborne etc. still have currently functional swimming pools? Curious minds want to know!

At least one school does, so I would assume that means they need someone to compete against.
    HENRY FORD HIGH SCHOOL BOYS’ SWIM TEAM
    Friday, February 6, 2009

Detroit, MI -- Maybe you’ve never heard anything about the Henry Ford High School boys’ swim team, but the Detroit City Council has. Because of their hard work, dedication to their sport and the guidance from their
    Coach, Ford Athletic Director, Demeatrice Brooks, every member of the team was honored with The Spirit Of Detroit award recently at a short ceremony in Council chambers. Each of the 12 team members received a personalized Spirit certificate in the presence of family and friends. The coach received a framed certificate and one will also be sent to the school.

Two of the young swimmers received special recognition because of their extra achievements. Douglas Brooks and DeMarcus McCoy have maintained a 3.0 or better, grade point averages despite the long practice sessions and competitions. Both of these young men have also made swimming history within the Public Schools League. They’ve posted swim times fast enough to qualify them for the State competition at EMU in March. Douglas qualified in the 100 and 200 meter breaststroke and DeMarcus qualified in the 50 and 100 meter freestyle.

“I am extremely proud of these young men. They are from all walks of life, but they were able to learn that they can move past their differences and challenges, and by focusing on trying to be the best at something they reap worthy rewards,” said Mr. Brooks. “I am a firm believer that involvement in a sport is a great character builder. It teaches teamwork, cooperation, humility and perseverance. Those are traits that can help these students reach their personal goals and become productive members of society,” he added.

Mr. Brooks has been coaching boys’ and girls’ swim teams at Ford for about 16 years. It’s been a good run with his teams consistently placing high in PSL competition. The boys’ team has won the PSL Division 1 Championship for 3 years in a row and for several years, various teams were undefeated. The program is demanding but the students’ hard work and self-discipline has resulted in a fair number of scholarships for the students to attend Division 2 and 3 schools.

TRIVIA: There was a pharmacy on Kelly and Spring Garden [[across from the Denby's drivers ed. course) where many St. Jude parishioners frequented. What was the name of the pharmacy? I'm not a 100% sure of the answer [[and I didn't search the St. Jude Calendar ad archives). Later a Burger King was put in its location. ....a free fountain drink for the first correct response.

Some guesses-Wegs-Tuscony-Kelly Discount Drugs or Fairway

If it wasn't for the flag pole plaque at Heilmann wouldn't have known about HH until much later in my 20s

TOPIC OF DISCUSSION: What artifact or memorabilia from the St. Jude Parish neighborhood area would you "obtain" for your own personal memorabilia collection? As mentioned I think the Heilmann flag pole plaque [[rust and all) would make an interesting conversation piece. The mouse from Easland's Lion and the mouse would look good on an end table [[although very few in my current neighborhood would appreciate the significance). The neon sign from the Parakeet Lounge. Your turn.........

I'd like a couch from Pinkey's back room as long as some of the tales that were told from it came along. Also, a ten pin from Fantasy maybe two so I could diplay one and shoot the other.

Some guesses-Wegs-Tuscony-Kelly Discount Drugs or Fairway
    That's not ringing a bell. It was a short one word name.

Just checked the St. Jude Calendar ads. The name of the pharmacy on Kelly near Morang is what I recall it was. The ad, however, uses initials with the last name.
    Anyone remember?

That's not ringing a bell. It was a short one word name.

Sorry, that was 4 guesses not one long one

Sorry, that was 4 guesses not one long one
    Wegs-Tuscony-Kelly Discount Drugs

Maybe they merged?

Still working on mine, but I'll venture to say that 7 would like the tube testing machine from either Merit or Supreme Drugs.
    ... a great memory, that's for sure!

Due to space considerations, I will settle for the following items:

A genuine rock from the alley servicing the block bound by Redmond, Fordham, Eastwood and the Kelly alley leading to George's Party Time, the Bakery, and Colonial Savings.

Some 1968 Topps Tiger cards purchased from George's [[still have these!)

A "helicopter" from one of our old maple trees which still stand today.

H.J. Bangs

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    H.J. Bangs
    As Mickey Redmond would say....... Bingo Bango...It was Bangs

An interesting and sobering reflection of what's going on. ........How did the film do in the contest?
    KR - It was just submitted last evening. Judging is on the 28th. Will let you know.
    Sobering for sure.

Boy, do I know how to be a killjoy at 10:15am!

You already have some kool stuff cfg, like the 4 chalk holder for drawing lines on the blackboard

CFG: Killjoy, on the contrary. I might even be willing to trade an Eastland gold mouse or Heilmann flag pole plaque for that 7/Rex traffic light/walk sign push button. I remember when that was installed. There were neighboors who considered walking a greater distance to Mass and crossing 7 at Rex than taking the chances of cars zooming west off Moross at Redmond, especially after 7Mile/Moross was widened in the early 60s. In addition of the novelty of having a traffic signal activator [[and all the devious pranks that went with it) it would be a neat reminder of how Sr. James Marie [[head of the safety patrol boys) once chastized one of her school crossing gaurds for immature behavior.

CFG: Killjoy, on the contrary. I might even be willing to trade an Eastland gold mouse or Heilmann flag pole plaque for that 7/Rex traffic light/walk sign push button. I remember when that was installed. There were neighboors who considered walking a greater distance to Mass and crossing 7 at Rex than taking the chances of cars zooming west off Moross at Redmond, especially after 7Mile/Moross was widened in the early 60s. In addition of the novelty of having a traffic signal activator [[and all the devious pranks that went with it) it would be a neat reminder of how Sr. James Marie [[head of the safety patrol boys) once chastized one of her school crossing gaurds for immature behavior.

I just received word that a fellow classmate from ND 74' Ken Kalisz passed away. Please keep his family in your prayers

. I might even be willing to trade an Eastland gold mouse......
    Here you go!

Attachment 1259
    Last edited by EMG; November-01-10 at 05:00 PM.

Game time!

Page 35 of 263 FirstFirst ... 25 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 45 85 135 ... LastLast