Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Fnemecek View Post
    Who is going to move all of that snow from the roads? And how are we going to pay for it?
    I don't know if Detroit does this already, but why not put plows on the things that are already moving? Buses can take care of major roads, and garbage trucks go everywhere.
    I suppose since they start and stop all the time it could be difficult to get a nice even scrape goin' on but it's better than nothing.

Who will take care of all our snow?Get a grip people.Come April the snow will all but be gone,and we will have survived.What,did we all just move here from San Diego?I can see it now.Winter storm warning,don't leave the house.The junior reporter from channel X,standing by the overpass,big flakes coming down.An overworked,tired snow plow driver,10 hours into the shift.The supervisor,"I got to pull them in,too much time behind the wheel".The school closing scrawl under all my tv shows.My car lot with 100 vehicles,needing a dig out and a plowing!Hell it will all be gone by next summer.This ain't Calumet,with 200 inches by Feb.Stay off the roads you wussies.....

Default Early '80s winters in Detroit...

There was one in which the temps did not rise above 32F for something like 45 straight days. Those were the days of frozen ruts in Detroit's residential streets.
    Jan 91 was no bargain, either. A blizzard blew in on 2 Jan and the rest of the month was rough. Something like 11 inches of snow fell on DET on 2 Jan 91.

Quote Originally Posted by luckycar View Post
    Who will take care of all our snow?Get a grip people.Come April the snow will all but be gone,and we will have survived.
    This is why Detroit is losing population, while other places like Chicago and Minneapolis are gaining.

In those other cities with a decent amount of snow, they simply plow it, and build it into their taxes as a public service.

In Detroit we build the cost into our taxes, don't provide the service, and insult the people who complain about not getting the services that they've paid for.

Detroit is sitting at 60*F at 10 PM in late November, which is also our high for today, despite starting in the upper 30s/lower 40s and very little sunshine today. That's something you normally expect in May.

Thunderstorms are also in the forecast. That along with the fact that the trees still have leaves on them, the bees/stinkbugs are still living it up and in addition to the abnormally warm and severe drought conditions are all sure signs of a harsher than normal winter. The million dollar question of course is when will mother nature make that "flip" for us?
    Last edited by 313WX; November-21-10 at 10:41 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2