Quote Originally Posted by goirish1966 View Post
My favorite Layton memory was watching him get 'burned' by the Sheik's fire on a Saturday night in the early 1970s in Detroit. He had to be carried from the ring with a towel wrapped around his head. On TV it was announced that he would be gone for 6 months while he recovered from the burns. I had a friend who happened to be in Toronto that weekend and brought home some newspapers. According to the newspaper, Layton wrestled the sheik the next night [[Sunday) in Toronto with the same results [[burned).
As a kid huddled around the B/W television I was always amazed at seeing the Sheik throw his fire. Alluva sudden, out of nowhere was this bright brilliant flash that seemingly came out of nowhere! I was amazed and just couldn't figure out how they did that. Here's this bruiser of a guy in the ring with nothing on but tights and a pair of boots and POOF! this "fireball" that he'd magically whip up out of thin air.

It wasn't until years later that I found out it was flash paper- an old magician's trick. Either way, it was still amazing to see.