Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Threaded View

I think it all really depends on whether Rick takes a sensible, non-politcally polarized approach to problem solving. Most of the issues in Michigan are not really political until politicians get involved. If he can bring the republicans closer to the center, he might actually accomplish a lot that will benefit SE Michigan. I think the biggest thing Snyder can do is not back away from his campaign promise of restoring Michigan's central cities, in which he stated mass transit was a critical element. He needs to paint mass transit as not neccessarily only part of a liberal agenda, but can be part of a conservative one as well. That would really benefit Metro Detroit.

Municipal bankruptcies might actually be good for Metro Detroit in the long-term. Sometimes you have to clean house from time-to-time, even if the hand is forced. I think Snyder is definitely the guy who take what appears to be a bad situation and find the silver lining... at least that's how he comes off.

As far as the bridge is concerned, hopefully Snyder can push DRIC through a conservative legislature for the betterment of the state or, alternatively, mediate a negotiation between Canada and Manny. Either way, this is a great issue to practice non-partisan politics and actually get a bridge built. If I were Snyder, the bridge would be at the top of my agenda because it is a visibile, tangible accomplishment that he can put his name on, not only for historical purposes, but if he plans to run for re-election. Having a second bridge is popular with most of the voting public.
    Last edited by BrushStart; November-03-10 at 09:05 AM.