Quote Originally Posted by casscorridor View Post
I am beginning to question if the Ye Olde Butcher Shoppe is ever going to be open. For months I have been saying that it looks like they are about to open in a matter of weeks/days, yet food has still not been stocked on the shelves. Get the damn food in there already! I'll go there and spend money, I'm sure many others will as well. GOSH DANG IT!!!

I am also beginning to question if the Sunflower Market on Forest Ave btwn Woodward and Cass is ever going to start a build out. Right now it is just an empty room with gravel as flooring. At least the YOBS has everything needed to start running. But unlike that store, this one has a larger population within walking distance, so what the heck is going on?

Both of these projects were announced nearly a year ago, and still have not come to fruition. I am getting very frustrated by the lack of seriousness put into these projects. How is the Midtown population going to expand if there are no quality non-spartan grocery stores? I know a lot of people are relying on Kim's Produce and Goodwell's for groceries, but many many more simply don't put up with this shit and drive to the burbs. This has GOT to stop, and the only way to stop them is having quality markets right here to serve them. Think of all the money that is leaving the city because of simple things like lack of shopping.

This seems interrelated to the similar problems of lack of places open past 7pm, much less past 11. There are virtually no late night places that aren't bars or coneys. The problem, I think, stems from the business owners don't really give a damn. They think everyone packs up and leaves Midtown after school or work... well they are living in the past. That, coupled with the persistent attitude that because it is Detroit, we can setting for mediocrity, is INCREDIBLY frustrating... examples... we don't need consistent hours, we don't need good customer service, etc, etc.

Having more grocery stores, coffee places, and any other business will help, because it will add competition. Businesses think they can get away with anything because it is Detroit and there is no place else to go, but that is going to change quickly, and those places that don't adapt will go out of business.
Credited. I find this especially frustrating because if people continue to *see* that there's nothing open past 7 PM, then they will continue to *assume* that there's nothing open and always head out of town for stuff, which will reinforce the present situtation. A few business have to set a precedent for being open late and then people will eventually realize that they have options in downtown/midtown at those hours. They literally have to "create the market."

I also think that in the case of Ye Ole Butcher Shop, as well as others, that they are waiting for the M1 rail line to be built or something. What other possbile reason is there to wait unless they are having financing problems? I too would spend my greenbacks in both of those places if they ever open.

It's simple stuff like this that makes living in the city a real pain in the a**.