Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Buy American Guest

According to Commissioner James Mack, DFD, during the press conference today, suburban fire departments helped during the riots [[I was with the CofD but not the Fire Department) and that was the last time that he knows of a suburban department helping.

At least 3 of us on this thread say it happened in the 80s based on first hand knowledge and/or presence. One continues to deny it based on comments from others or using disclaimers like 'as far as I recall' [[paraphrased).

Buy American Guest

Meddle....answer my question above. Are you, were you, have you ever been associated with the DFD in any official capacity....or are you just one of those wannabees who have a scanner and run to fires to direct traffic and pretend that you are a real fireman?

For what it's worth, DFD Fire Commissioner James Mack said at the mayoral press conference the last time suburban deparrtments came into Detroit was during the riot.

More importantly, if you watched the press conference on one of the TV stations' live-streaming, you heard a reporter take issue with Bing's repeated characterization of the fires as a "natural disaster." The reporter, who didn't identify himself and couldn't be seen, made the point that other ingredients seemed to play major roles: abandoned homes, an undermanned fire department, Detroit's deep poverty, etc. I think he has a point.

Quote Originally Posted by Carey View Post
    More importantly, if you watched the press conference on one of the TV stations' live-streaming, you heard a reporter take issue with Bing's repeated characterization of the fires as a "natural disaster." The reporter, who didn't identify himself and couldn't be seen, made the point that other ingredients seemed to play major roles: abandoned homes, an undermanned fire department, Detroit's deep poverty, etc. I think he has a point.
    Yeah, Bing is spinning. Everyone's gotten so used to this spinning BS. It's amazing anymore when a reporter refuses to accept spin and demands more.

I would say the fault lies with Edison for poor line maintenance [[not keeping trees cleared) and the city for the manpower and equipment issues. Mitigate those two issues and this would have gotten so far out of control.

I don't know if the high number of vacant structures played a part or not.

Buy American Guest

For what it's worth, DFD Fire Commissioner James Mack said at the mayoral press conference the last time suburban deparrtments came into Detroit was during the riot.

Bing doesn't have the answers and was depending on his Commissioners to do the talking. The reporter was asking the right questions. The fires from yesterday were not a "natural disaster". The fire department is understaffed, underequipped, and stretched beyond reason. DTE was slow in their response. Illegal electric hook ups played a big part. Dry, tinderbox conditions exist....and, as Bing said, we had 50 degree winds!

Quote Originally Posted by lilpup View Post
    Who was the absolute asshole journalist at the Mayor's press conference trying to make it all about how shitty the city was?
    Actually, it IS about the city and the drastic cuts they've made.

Quote Originally Posted by Buy American View Post
    50 degree winds!
    WTF? Did he say that?

He said "50-degree winds" twice.

He said "50-degree winds" twice.
    More and more, I think he was never a businessperson. I'm coming to believe that he was a minority figurehead for other players. Notice how his business went bankrupt when he went to work for Beckham and company? Now I'm starting to wonder if he's senile too.

Buy American Guest

Yes, he said it more than once. Bing got very agitated when reporters pressed him for logical answers about the fires. I don't care if he's not an "expert" on the fire department....bottom line....the buck stops in his office.

Thank God no firefighter was hurt or killed and no residents were injured or killed during yesterday's fires.

I don't think you can look at his performance as mayor and make a determination of what kind of businessman he was. But as mayor, he certainly lacks political skills and seems slow on his feet, though it would be difficult for America's Best Mayor -- whoever that is -- to explain a city so lacking in resources that its EMS, fire and police have to limp through normal days, much less extraordinary ones like yesterday.

Bing had just recently said that the fires were a natural disaster. What an idiot. What puppeteer manipulated his mouth to utter those words. Sure the winds had contributed to the spread of it; but had Bing ever think that arson could be a factor in it. He should had stayed with Bing Steel where his no thinking brain was somewhat of a factor.

Interestingly, no coverage really of this on the national news. CBS made a quick mention of it after covering some wild fires somewhere. I don't think they mentioned how many buildings were burned in Detroit or anything.

NBC news covered it pretty well about 25 minutes ago

Quote Originally Posted by Crumbled_pavement View Post
    Every single day I see a new house burnt to ash. Not just yesterday, but EVERY DAY. Sometimes I feel like I wish Detroit would just go ahead and die. If you ever saw an elderly loved one suffer and you know that they will only continue to deteriorate, as hard as it is, sometimes you wish for their peace. Detroit is one city that CAN'T be turned around. She has been dying for six decades and is crippled on her death bed. Maybe if she just dies, something positive can take her place. It's just heartbreaking to see the enormous destruction that has fallen over this city in just the last six years, not to mention the decades preceding. Here's a link to a video that is just heart wrenching when you think of the destruction and the handicapped [[as in having limited manpower, equipment) firefighters that are tasked to respond.

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/news...-20100907-wpms

Detroit can turn around, it just can't deal with all the excess inventory in disrepair. It's a shame these longtime vacant and open structures can't be demolished more quickly. One fact that people can't seem to understand is it's very difficult to demolish a house. It takes multiple visits and inspections, a ton of approvals, and of course money. If there has been any indication that someone has been living in a vacant structure, demolition is called off and the process starts again. At the rate a dozen houses become empty and just one gets demolished it's almost like you aren't doing anything.

The city, land bank, whatever needs to also take stock of what buildings they'd like to keep around. Is it important to Detroit's history? Pick only a few, not a hundred. Seal them up tight so they won't be the next fire victims.

[QUOTE=fryar;179614]
    Looks like it. It contained this post linking to 461 Robinwood:

Actually the block containing 461 Robinwood, is the block just east of Woodward. The block with the fires is by Van Dyke.

what you'll find is that a lot of these fallen wires were illegal hook-ups.

on the rumor front ... the barber shoppers say that Bing - afterall he used to sit on DTE's Board of Directors - and called DTE and had the fires set so as to clear out residents and institute his "downsizing" plan.

Of the many shots of the fires being faught there was one that showed the suburb city name on the truck... I am having a bit of time to sort thru the photos to verify this... back in a bit..........
    Let me clarify, I retired in the 90's. From the time I worked in the Fire Department [[30 years on the job), there were never any official calls put out to a suburban fire department for help in any fire. In 1984, the peak of devils night, Detroit received no help. This is coming from a very good source in Communications who worked Devils night and coordinated ALL equipment, runs, EMS, etc.
    If suburb fire departments have helped since then, it's still news to me because I am very close to the department today.
    I am not arguing a point here but the records will speak for themselves. If anyone has pictures, data, proving different, please feel free to post it, I will definitely apologize for my error if I am wrong.

Is a 'fifty degree' wind a real factor or episode or just something he said to sound authoritative.....?
    Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    WTF? Did he say that?

I hear that... too bad it's to that level but fighting the fire is deadly enough, catching bullets too. Well that may warrant them carrying guns.
    Firefighters have been shot at, spit on, robbed....the city is full of two-legged animals who have no idea how to live like a human being.

lilpup Guest

Christ, he misspoke and said 'fifty degree' instead of 'fifty miles per hour' - why don't you all just go shoot him for the error? Morons.

DetroitDad Guest

Detroit's problems and failures are everybody's problems and failures.

Incredible that no one died in these tragic fires... I dug a bit into some of the photos of the various photos... detroitfunk shows an Engine 9 Warren truck second photo from the bottom of the Detroit mega fire tragedy:

http://www.detroitfunk.com/

The first truck in this photo gallery does not look Detroit, but it could be?

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/news...s-20100908-mr#

This news feed references the use of suburban fire departments helping...

http://www.clickondetroit.com/video/24933070/index.html

And of course the Berkely trucks were clearly visable in the Highland Towers fire though that was in Highland Park....

Let me clarify, I retired in the 90's. From the time I worked in the Fire Department [[30 years on the job), there were never any official calls put out to a suburban fire department for help in any fire. In 1984, the peak of devils night, Detroit received no help. This is coming from a very good source in Communications who worked Devils night and coordinated ALL equipment, runs, EMS, etc.
    If suburb fire departments have helped since then, it's still news to me because I am very close to the department today.
    I am not arguing a point here but the records will speak for themselves. If anyone has pictures, data, proving different, please feel free to post it, I will definitely apologize for my error if I am wrong.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast