Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Page 203 of 263 FirstFirst ... 103 153 193 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 213 253 ... LastLast
Results 5,051 to 5,075 of 6559

Quote Originally Posted by Eastburn View Post
    The 1st house I bought after I got married in '66 was 12444 Riad.
    considering I lived at 12468 Laing, that house in the paper had to be @10 from Moross.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/5152945...7624249283283/
    Updated Class Picture Photo stream [[class of 1973 added)

Condolences go out to the Fedenis family, I just heard about the loss of their father, no DN yet. St. Jude kids were Mark, Dave and Mary Key

We would see Mark on occasion at St. Jude - the services might possibly be held at there.

Dave was in my class - remember him well.
    Had some slacker time this morning - does anyone know if any SJS alumni went on to play any professional sports? Of course, this would mean they came from DETROIT.

Quote Originally Posted by 12468_laing View Post
    Dave was in my class - remember him well.
    Had some slacker time this morning - does anyone know if any SJS alumni went on to play any professional sports? Of course, this would mean they came from DETROIT.
    Great question Laing. The only person I know that came close was Don DeDonatis class of 63' who was drafted by the Tigers and toiled in their farm system for 4-5 years before retiring.

Quote Originally Posted by zitro View Post
    Great question Laing. The only person I know that came close was Don DeDonatis class of 63' who was drafted by the Tigers and toiled in their farm system for 4-5 years before retiring.

Well, lets see what some others may know. You would think that the law of averages would bring up one with all the Wish Egan players, etc.

Great Question! was Frank Tanana from around these parts?

Quote Originally Posted by Campfire Girl View Post
    Seems he went to Austin HS. Did Dave DeBuscher [[could never spell his name) also? Also, seems like there was another pitcher, Doyle Alexander who may have gone there too, but don't know if any had a SJS tie.

Sheila Young, the olympian, graduated from Denby. Wonder where she went before?

I'm pretty sure DeBusschere went to Austin and then to U of D.

Frank Tanana whose dad was a cop went to Catholic Central. I saw him pitch a couple of times against ND. No one stood a chance of hitting that guy, he threw bullets

Quote Originally Posted by 12468_laing View Post
    Seems he went to Austin HS. Did Dave DeBuscher [[could never spell his name) also? Also, seems like there was another pitcher, Doyle Alexander who may have gone there too, but don't know if any had a SJS tie.
    I'm pretty sure Doyle was a Southerner, I remember his accent

Doyle Lafayette Alexander [[born September 4, 1950 in Cordova, Alabama) is a former pitcher in Major League Baseball who played for the Los Angeles Dodgers, Baltimore Orioles, New York Yankees, Texas Rangers, Atlanta Braves, San Francisco Giants, Toronto Blue Jays, and Detroit Tigers. He batted and threw right-handed.
    Last edited by zitro; July-09-10 at 03:27 PM.

Tanana graduated from Catholic Central [[when it was on the west side of Detroit) in 1971.

Quote Originally Posted by kellyroad View Post
    Tanana graduated from Catholic Central [[when it was on the west side of Detroit) in 1971.
    I think there is a pic of Tanana in the 71 yearbook playing basketball against ND. He might be going for a layup if I recall corectly

Frank Tanana whose dad was a cop went to Catholic Central. I saw him pitch a couple of times against ND. No one stood a chance of hitting that guy, he threw bullets
    Never saw Tanana nor his side kick, some guy named Nolan Ryan, during their "bullet" days with the Angels. [[Did see Ryan in Houston and Tanana in Detroit...past their pickle juice fastball phase). ND was a powerhouse in baseball in the early 70s. CC was ND's nemesis.

Quote Originally Posted by kellyroad View Post
    Never saw Tanana nor his side kick, some guy named Nolan Ryan, during their "bullet" days with the Angels. [[Did see Ryan in Houston and Tanana in Detroit...past their pickle juice fastball phase). ND was a powerhouse in baseball in the early 70s. CC was ND's nemesis.

Add Bill Singer and Don Sutton to that rotation and it's amazing they never won a World Series

Saw back to back no hitters at Tiger Stadium - Nolan Ryan and Steve Busby - just weeks apart - was lucky enough to get both scorebooks signed.

Saw back to back no hitters at Tiger Stadium - Nolan Ryan and Steve Busby - just weeks apart - was lucky enough to get both scorebooks signed.

You saw the famous Nolan Ryan no-hitter CFG? That game is famous for Norm Cash coming up to bat late in the game with a table leg he had taken from one in the clubhouse, because he knew he wasn't going to hit him otherwise. They don't make em' like Stormin' Norman anymore

I'm pretty sure Doyle was a Southerner, I remember his accent

Doyle Lafayette Alexander [[born September 4, 1950 in Cordova, Alabama) is a former pitcher in Major League Baseball who played for the Los Angeles Dodgers, Baltimore Orioles, New York Yankees, Texas Rangers, Atlanta Braves, San Francisco Giants, Toronto Blue Jays, and Detroit Tigers. He batted and threw right-handed.
    Didn't we get him in a trade in '87 ... cheap?

Quote Originally Posted by 7andkelly View Post
    Didn't we get him in a trade in '87 ... cheap?
    Yeah, all we gave up was a future HOF'er John Schmoltz

Yeah, all we gave up was a future HOF'er John Schmoltz
    Who knew THAT when Alexander the great went 9-0 propelling the Tigs to the playoffs. We should have demanded takebacksies.

Yes, Z - it was the famous "Stormin' Norman" table leg game! He was laughing about it even after the game when walking through the Commissary on the way to his car.

The box score below is an accurate record of events for the baseball contest played on July 15, 1973 at Tiger Stadium. The California Angels defeated the Detroit Tigers and the box score is "ready to surrender its truth to the knowing eye."
    "What they saw was one of the most overpowering games ever pitched... So overmatched were the Tigers that when Norm Cash, who had struck out twice, came to bat in the ninth inning, he carried the leg of a clubhouse table instead of a bat. Umpire Ron Luciano didn't appreciate the humor, and made him get rid of it." - Author Rich Westcott in No-Hitters [[McFarland, 2000)

1973 - Steve Busby of the Kansas City Royals pitches his first of two career no-hitters with a 3 - 0 victory over Detroit. It is the first Royals no-hitter and the first at Tiger Stadium since Virgil Trucks did it in 1952. Busby also becomes the first no-hit game pitcher not to bat after the American League's introduction of the designated hitter rule.

Just saw the photos of the Parish Block Party. Included, were shots of the basement church. In that regard the question arises:

Has anyone attended Mass in a basement church other than St. Jude?
    Does anyone know of a another church that has/had a basement used for Mass?
    Last edited by kellyroad; July-12-10 at 01:32 PM.

Never went to another church basement for Mass. Have been in the basements of many, but sure don't remember Mass said in any. Interesting question............................