Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Threaded View

We had an elevator guy at the City-County Building who walked up to Broadway every day to eat at Lefkovsky's, which was still then in the Broadway Market building between Gratiot and E. Grand River [[they later moved into the Madison Theater building before fading away). My sister worked there for awhile while she was at Cass Tech.

The Lefkovskys had been running the place since my grandparents' day [[my grandmother used to get trays from them for parties) and it was really the best deli downtown. It began as just a sandwich stand in the back of the original Broadway Market [[which was an actual multi-vendor market, like Gratiot Central) to feed the many Jewish vendors and workers there.

Every day when we were on our way down for lunch the elevator guy would ask us where we were thinking of going, and then he'd say "I'm going for corned beef!! Ya'll should go get some of that gooood corned beef up on Broadway!!"
    Last edited by EastsideAl; April-30-10 at 09:51 AM.