Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Quote Originally Posted by ghettopalmetto View Post
    That's a lot of cut-and-paste, Hermod. Unfortunately, none of it clears up your misstatement that appropriations bills must originate in the House.
    As you posted yourself-
    All Bills for raising Revenue shall originate in the House of Representatives; but the Senate may propose or concur with Amendments as on other Bills.
    They SHALL originate in the House. What's your point? Hermod wrote that "the
    only place that can originate any government spending is the House of Representatives. All appropriations bill have to start there." Are you saying that these statements contradict each other? Or are you just saying that bills proposed by the Senate may in turn be originated in the House?

That's a lot of cut-and-paste, Hermod. Unfortunately, none of it clears up your misstatement that appropriations bills must originate in the House.
    Is there some part of:

By precedent, appropriations originate in the House, with the Senate following suit.
    that is difficult to understand? That is what i said previously. Appropriations originate in the House and throughout the administrations of Reagan and Bush, the House was firmly in control of the Democratic Party.

Having found that quote, I thought that folks would appreciate having the entire process explained to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Sstashmoo View Post
    Quote: "Clinton was one of the few presidents in modern times not to give his successor a deficit present."

The statement sounds fiscally responsible. Unfortunately, all Clinton did was stop spending money, instead of cutting costs. Our parks national parks were closing intermittently and our military was in a shambles, and we were moving very close to being in a very vulnerable state from a defense standpoint. Unsustainable. And many misinterpret balanced the budget, with getting it under control. It was anything but. And some equate that with National Debt which he acquired and passed on to the next, in which he added to, if I remember correctly. In essence, he really didn't accomplish anything. I love to ask Clinton cheerleaders why he was so great, they immediately go deer in the headlights.
    I sense that you personally didn't like Clinton as president, but to say he didn't do anything flies in the face of the facts of his administration. The guy left office with a 55% approval rating and thats after Monica. On poll after poll that ranks the presidents he falls in the upper middle of the pack in terms of popularity [[pretty much just a few notches below your boy Reagan). On one hand you say you don't want presidents adding to the deficit but when he brings a not balanced budget but a surplus budget to kick over to HW, you say, well he didn't really balance the budget he stopped spending !

I don't understand that, that statement is really a reach. I thought thats what you wanted.

If you cut out all the pork you still can't balance the budget, because the bulk of the budget is in entitlement programs and defense, pork [[earmarks) represents only a small part of the federal budget. So unless you want more taxes you are going to cut into some muscle to go along with the fat.

If you think he didn't do anything wiki him, he has an impressive list of accomplishments, Like yourself I was not happy with the results of NAFTA which he signed into law, but I truly believe that at the time he felt it was the right thing to do. The fact that Hilary campaigned against the agreement gives me a clue that maybe he regrets that decision
    So I understand your opinion, I didn't care for Reagan, but facts sometimes flies in the face of what we feel.
    Last edited by firstandten; February-23-10 at 01:05 AM.

No modern president reduced the national debt, although Clinton came closest.

When Clinton took office in 1993, the national debt was $4.2 trillion. When he left in 2001, the national debt was $5.73 trillion [[+36%). When GWB left office in 2009, the national debt was $10.63 trillion [[+86%). Today, 13 months after Obama took office, the national debt is $12.4 trillion [[+17%).

When the new debt limit of $14.3 trillion is reached at the end of this fiscal year [[Sept 2010), the debt will increased 35% after only 20 months of the Obama presidency.

Quote Originally Posted by oladub View Post
    As you posted yourself-

They SHALL originate in the House. What's your point? Hermod wrote that "the
    only place that can originate any government spending is the House of Representatives. All appropriations bill have to start there." Are you saying that these statements contradict each other? Or are you just saying that bills proposed by the Senate may in turn be originated in the House?
    These two statements do not necessarily contradict each other, but Hermod's statement that "appropriations bills must originate in the House" is incorrect.

Look up the definitions of "revenue" and "appropriations" in the dictionary.

These two statements do not necessarily contradict each other, but Hermod's statement that "appropriations bills must originate in the House" is incorrect.

Look up the definitions of "revenue" and "appropriations" in the dictionary.
    So in the last two hundred or so years, how many appropriations bills have originated anywhere else than the HOR? What part of:

By precedent, appropriations originate in the House, with the Senate following suit.
    do you disagree with?

ok getting back to Sarah, does she realize that the very programs that sustain people with disabilities are usually the first to go? or that when she was in office what did she do for PWD?

I have first hand knowledge that Special needs programs are very vulnerable to the tea party's cut big government agendas/ so what does that make someone who feigns outrage over verbiage [[although I don t like that part either) and doesn't protect PWD? --------

I guess it is the same as people who go to church on Sunday and pass legislation on Monday that hurt the poor...

email flying around from an "Alaskan Fisherman"...
    http://www.sodahead.com/united-state...n/blog-148707/

1. Democrats forget when Palin was the Darling of the Democrats, because as soon as Palin took the Governor's office away from a fellow Republican and tough SOB, Frank Murkowski, she tore into the Republican's "Corrupt Bastards Club" [[CBC) and sent them packing. Many of them are now residing in State housing and wearing orange jump suits The Democrats reacted by skipping around the yard, throwing confetti and singing, "la la la la" [[well, you know how they are). Name another governor in this country that has ever done anything similar.

2. Now with the CBC gone, there were fewer Alaskan politicians to protect the huge, giant oil companies here. So she constructed and enacted a new system of splitting the oil profits called "ACES." Exxon [[the biggest corporation in the world) protested and Sarah told them, "don't let the door hit you in the stern on your way out." They stayed, and Alaska residents went from being merely wealthy to being filthy rich. Of course, the other huge international oil companies meekly fell in line. Again, give me the name of any other governor in the country that has done anything similar.

3. The other thing she did when she walked into the governor's office is she got the list of State requests for federal funding for projects, known as "pork." She went through the list, took 85% of the m and placed them in the "when-hell-freezes-over" stack. She let locals know that if we need something built, we'll pay for it ourselves. Maybe she figured she could use the money she got from selling the previous governor's jet because it was extravagant.

Maybe she could use the money she saved by dismissing the governor's cook [[remarking that she could cook for her own family), giving back the State vehicle issued to her, maintaining that she already had a car, and dismissing her State provided security force [[never mentioning - I imagine - that she's packing heat herself). I'm still waiting to hear the names of those other governors.

4. Now, even with her much-ridiculed "gosh and golly" mannerism, she also managed to put together a totally new approach to getting a natural gas pipeline built which will be the biggest private construction project in the history of North America. No one else could do it although they tried. If that doesn't impress you, then you're trying too hard to be unimpressed while watching her do things like this while baking up a batch of brownies with her other hand.

5. For 30 years, Exxon held a lease to do exploratory drilling at a place called Point Thompson. They made excuses the entire time why they couldn't start drilling. In truth they were holding it like an investment. No governor for 30 years could make them get started. Then, she told them she was revoking their lease and kicking them out. They protested and threatened court action. She shrugged and reminded them that she knew the way to the court house. Alaska won again.

6. President Obama wants the nation to be on 25% renewable resources for electricity by 2025. Sarah went to the legislature and submitted her plan for Alaska to be at 50% renewables by 2025. We are already at 25%. I can give you more specifics about things done, as opposed to style and persona.
    and the review:
    http://www.factcheck.org/2009/12/sar...complishments/
    Sarah Palin’s Accomplishments
    December 22, 2009
    Corrected: Jan. 5, 2010

Q: Is an Alaska fisherman’s list of Sarah Palin’s accomplishments accurate?
    A: There’s some truth to a number of his claims, but some are also false or misleading.
    Truth is, Sarah Palin did some good things for Alaska, like her or not.
    But she's not above scrutiny. She did some things like your typical politician, like spend some taxpayer cash and take advantage of some of the perks. But pot meet kettle, most politicians do!

Harry Reid and his mob connections
    By 1980 Reid had been cleared of Agosto’s allegations by the Carter Justice Department [[then also in the process of bringing about virtually no successful prosecutions in Billygate, Koreagate, ABSCAM, BCCI, or the investigation of cocaine use by Treasury Secretary Hamilton Jordan). Since then Reid has received contributions from various donors connected with the gambling industry, including...
    http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/1561650/posts
    Obama abuses Air Force 1 for a photo op
    http://www.bild.de/BILD/news/bild-en...ror-fears.html
    The jumbo-jet, flanked by an air force fighter jet, startled those watching, reminding New Yorkers of the horrific 9/11 attack eight years ago.
    The list goes on and on and on and on
    Corruption and abuse is everywhere, political fans, don't point the finger until your own party is clean...

I am also not fully in the Palin camp, for the record. The woman does have issues, and I don't think she is the great hope for the GOP. I think she has a lot of negativity surrounding her and could probably be torn apart by Obama's machine in 2012.

However, the notes on hand is a stupid thing to pick on her for. Her blunder was not simply admitting that she did it, and people use notes all the time during speeches and whatnot.

Lots of people use notes written on thier hand/arms....

The Steelers go into each game with every play in their game plan written on Ben Roethlisberger's wristband.
    http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m.../ai_n13812569/
    Just a couple quick examples.
    I don't want to cite dozens, but I easily could if I had the time to kill

She's toast as running for POTUS. She's going to be an entertainer period.

Has anyone posted Andrew Sullivan's comments on Sarah?

http://andrewsullivan.theatlantic.co...dia-party.html
    "....the fusion of Fox Barbie-doll beauty, marinated in evangelical Christianity, mouthing every cliche that survives from the Reagan era until it has no relation at all to reality, propelled by what former Christianist Frank Shaeffer has called 'the deepening inferiority complex suffered by the evangelical/fundamentalist community.' This FNC/RNC merger is another threat to reasoned discourse in public life, because it is a showman's concoction of very powerful emotional elements: resentment, sex, religion, anger. It creates its own reality..."

We all know how credible those e-mail forwards are.

it's not the notes [[well it is to A DEGREE)....it's the claims she has a vision based on reality for our country...the notes represent in our minds her script following agenda [[based on her ability to mask her true belief and own version of an America that is only for a few)...and those who hang on her every word as if she was able to really grasp the issues...instead of playing to our fears.

I will give her her due..not everyone can be Governor of a state the size of Alaska...but that doesn't make her the answer ...either.

Quote Originally Posted by gibran View Post
    it's not the notes [[well it is to A DEGREE)....it's the claims she has a vision based on reality for our country...the notes represent in our minds her script following agenda [[based on her ability to mask her true belief and own version of an America that is only for a few)...and those who hang on her every word as if she was able to really grasp the issues...instead of playing to our fears.

I will give her her due..not everyone can be Governor of a state the size of Alaska...but that doesn't make her the answer ...either.
    Great points ! however while Alaska is huge physically, population wise it has fewer people than the city of Detroit ... almost 700,000. With a population base of that size you can have politicans with over the top views and still win statewide elections.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5