Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

View Poll Results: Where should I look for housing [[to buy)?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • Indian Village

11 28.21%
  • Royal Oak

9 23.08%
  • Grosse Pointe[[s)

15 38.46%
  • Huntington Woods

6 15.38%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by casscorridor View Post
    New Center is not suburban sprawl. It more urban than most Detroit neighborhoods. I will agree that many neighborhoods in Detroit are early examples of sprawl. But does that justify the suburb's sprawl? No. In fact, the sprawl in the burbs was much worse. The entire city was developed, even the parts that I would consider suburban, before most people have a car. Talk to your parents/grandparents and they'll tell you how even if they had a car, they still rode the streetcars all the time.

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&hq=&...,0.084543&z=14

not sprawl? hmm.... okay. sure. lol

More diverse than Birmingham. I feel like I'm in a sundown town when I'm there. If you are black, people assume you are either working there, or are trying to steal something. You must have some racial anxiety about Detroit being majority people of color... and its not all black. There is 100,000 latino residents. There is almost 100,00 whites. There are many other groups represented as well. There are many cultural and ethnic restaurants and attractions. We are far more progressive and anti-racist than Birmingham or your average suburb.

You are the one in the fantasy world, bud. When I'm in Birmingham and get stares of disgust, i get shrugs nodding that somehow I'm not wanted. Most people I encounter in Detroit are very friendly, despite how much shit they have to deal with. Maybe it is because they see that wealth and money don't really matter.

You can smoke a joint here, and no one will flinch. If you do that in Birmingham you'll be in jail within an hour. Detroit is also much more open to homosexuality. To other religions. And above all, open to other peoples who, like them, are oppressed. This is my person experience.

Sure, the bus sucks. But don't try and tell me people don't avoid the bus because they are racist. Again, you are the one in the fantasy world!! Maybe they will ride SMART, but definatly not DDOT. So many suburban parents will let their kids ride SMART but say "NOT THE DDOT!!!!!!" The kids will say "but why" and they'll say "BECAUSE... IT IS DANGEROUS" AKA BLACK PEOPLE.

I hope it never extends to Birmingham because Birmingham SUCKS A DUCK. Everyone there thinks they are cooler than they are. They think they are in fucking Beverly Hills, CA or something. They are soooooooo full of themselves that they think that if the light-rail doesnt exent there it will be a failure. Since when is Birmigham a MAJOR destination? News flash to me.

Funny how people can generalize all they want about Detroit, but when you generalize about Birmingham, OMG AN OUTRAGE! The fact remains that Birmigham is an ultra-exclusive elitist place to live. They are out of touch with reality, as evident from your posts.

We have a word for that in the hood. It's called a sell out.
    Ignorant, classist, and naive, all in the same post. Gee.

Stosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Fury13 View Post
    Ignorant, classist, and naive, all in the same post. Gee.
    And I thought DetroitDad was bad. Those previous posts beat anything he posted, hands down. We have a winner....

Quote Originally Posted by Stosh View Post
    And I thought DetroitDad was bad. Those previous posts beat anything he posted, hands down. We have a winner....
    Awww, so sorry for not "keepin' it real..."

"Birmingham SUCKS A DUCK. Everyone there thinks they are cooler than they are. They think they are in fucking Beverly Hills, CA or something. They are soooooooo full of themselves..."

You don't think that reeks of classism? How the hell does Casscorridor know what's going on in the minds of people who live in Birmingham?

Buzzwords and catch phrases like "down to earth," "keepin' it real," "the hood," etc., are often just euphemisms for scenarios that include bad behavior, blight, and poor quality of life.

Being able to smoke a joint in public in Detroit is indicative of the city's liberal bent? Please!

And "Detroit is so much more open to homosexuality"??? Come on! Detroit's Baptist church establishment hates to admit it even exists! The church people [[some of the most influential in Detroit) have about zero tolerance for that lifestyle.

neighbor Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Fury13 View Post
    Awww, so sorry for not "keepin' it real..."

"Birmingham SUCKS A DUCK. Everyone there thinks they are cooler than they are. They think they are in fucking Beverly Hills, CA or something. They are soooooooo full of themselves..."

You don't think that reeks of classism? How the hell does Casscorridor know what's going on in the minds of people who live in Birmingham?

Buzzwords and catch phrases like "down to earth," "keepin' it real," "the hood," etc., are often just euphemisms for scenarios that include bad behavior, blight, and poor quality of life.

Being able to smoke a joint in public in Detroit is indicative of the city's liberal bent? Please!

And "Detroit is so much more open to homosexuality"??? Come on! Detroit's Baptist church establishment hates to admit it even exists! The church people [[some of the most influential in Detroit) have about zero tolerance for that lifestyle.
    I think it was a reference to CassCorridors post.

Yeah, all of those rich trust fund folks north of 8-mile just sitting there in their fancy mansions in gated communities thumbing their noses at the hard working poor in Detroit while sucking all of the money out of the city. I bet they sneak into Detroit at night and vandalize the buildings just to make life tougher for the downtrodden.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    Yeah, all of those rich trust fund folks north of 8-mile just sitting there in their fancy mansions in gated communities thumbing their noses at the hard working poor in Detroit while sucking all of the money out of the city. I bet they sneak into Detroit at night and vandalize the buildings just to make life tougher for the downtrodden.
    Shhhh.... that was a secret!

Quote Originally Posted by neighbor View Post
    I think it was a reference to CassCorridors post.
    Yeah, probably so. Appropriate apologies to Stosh for flying off the handle.