Quote Originally Posted by Ravine View Post

I will back up Gistok's endorsement of Saint Clair Shores, but if Gizmo is looking for something with an urban, or even semi-urban, feel, SCS is out.
Also, if one expects to spend a lot of time in the general "Downtown Detroit" area, and lacks the time for leisurely drives down Jefferson Ave., living in SCS pretty much necessitates using the I-94 freeway, which-- during rush hours-- well, sucks.
Funny that... I-94 is not all that bad. I worked in Ann Arbor for 4 years and had about 1 hour drive from SCS each way during rush hour. Gratiot is a fast alternative [[since I live only 1 mile from that road near 11 Mile) with lights timed nicely and everyone going 45MPH. And besides a leisurely drive down Jefferson [[can't beat the calming view on Lakeshore Dr.), there are other ways to get home. Lafayette, Charlevoix and Mack are alternatives to getting east until you get past the congestion [[which usually ends around Conner).

But the worst part of I-94 during rush hour is from I-696 on out towards Mt. Clemens and beyond... often a lot of gridlock to the outer burbs.