Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

View Poll Results: Where should I look for housing [[to buy)?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • Indian Village

11 28.21%
  • Royal Oak

9 23.08%
  • Grosse Pointe[[s)

15 38.46%
  • Huntington Woods

6 15.38%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Hybrid View

Ravine Guest

Casscorridor says that the suburbs are not walkable. How can Casscorridor expect anyone to take the rest of the post seriously [[if, in fact, that is the intention) when it opens with an idiotic statement like that?

I will back up Gistok's endorsement of Saint Clair Shores, but if Gizmo is looking for something with an urban, or even semi-urban, feel, SCS is out.
    Also, if one expects to spend a lot of time in the general "Downtown Detroit" area, and lacks the time for leisurely drives down Jefferson Ave., living in SCS pretty much necessitates using the I-94 freeway, which-- during rush hours-- well, sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravine View Post
    Casscorridor says that the suburbs are not walkable. How can Casscorridor expect anyone to take the rest of the post seriously [[if, in fact, that is the intention) when it opens with an idiotic statement like that?

I will back up Gistok's endorsement of Saint Clair Shores, but if Gizmo is looking for something with an urban, or even semi-urban, feel, SCS is out.
    Also, if one expects to spend a lot of time in the general "Downtown Detroit" area, and lacks the time for leisurely drives down Jefferson Ave., living in SCS pretty much necessitates using the I-94 freeway, which-- during rush hours-- well, sucks.
    I think the point Casscorridor was trying to make about the suburbs being "not walkable" is the fact that their isn't much within walking distance when you live in the suburbs, which is true. Of course the suburbs are safe to walk in, which is what I am assuming you think he meant. You really do have to drive everywhere in the suburbs in order to get to the variety of restaurants or bars that are in the suburbs.

Quote Originally Posted by p1acebo View Post
    ...isn't much within walking distance when you live in the suburbs, which is true... You really do have to drive everywhere in the suburbs in order to get to the variety of restaurants or bars that are in the suburbs.
    Totally false, if you're in Ferndale, Royal Oak, Berkley, Birmingham, Rochester, Plymouth, or Northville. Lots of entertainment options right in each of those little downtowns. You have to go a little farther between bars/restaurants in the Pointes, but not much.

Now, if you're talking about bar-hopping between, say, Birmingham and Royal Oak, well yeah, sure, that requires a car. So would bar-hopping between Greektown and Corktown, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Fury13 View Post
    Totally false, if you're in Ferndale, Royal Oak, Berkley, Birmingham, Rochester, Plymouth, or Northville. Lots of entertainment options right in each of those little downtowns. You have to go a little farther between bars/restaurants in the Pointes, but not much.

Now, if you're talking about bar-hopping between, say, Birmingham and Royal Oak, well yeah, sure, that requires a car. So would bar-hopping between Greektown and Corktown, though.
    It is not totally false, sure you can bar hop in a few of the mini downtowns form the burbs, which I have done before and is fun. But in regards to festivals, sporting events, music shows and restaurant options, they pal in comparison to downtown Detroit.
    Last edited by p1acebo; March-10-10 at 01:34 AM.

Ravine Guest

That's all Good Stuff, don't get me wrong, but folks-- grown folks, at least-- choose where to live based on their needs, not their wants. Cool Places To Hang Out is a want.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravine View Post

Funny that... I-94 is not all that bad. I worked in Ann Arbor for 4 years and had about 1 hour drive from SCS each way during rush hour. Gratiot is a fast alternative [[since I live only 1 mile from that road near 11 Mile) with lights timed nicely and everyone going 45MPH. And besides a leisurely drive down Jefferson [[can't beat the calming view on Lakeshore Dr.), there are other ways to get home. Lafayette, Charlevoix and Mack are alternatives to getting east until you get past the congestion [[which usually ends around Conner).

But the worst part of I-94 during rush hour is from I-696 on out towards Mt. Clemens and beyond... often a lot of gridlock to the outer burbs.