Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Page 156 of 263 FirstFirst ... 56 106 146 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 166 206 256 ... LastLast
Results 3,876 to 3,900 of 6559

Quote Originally Posted by zitro View Post
    I know is was tan, and I think it was a Fords LTD
    Was it one of these?

Quote Originally Posted by 7andkelly View Post
    Was it one of these?
    The 2nd from the top looks like the one

Z, I've never been to England, but I kind of like the Beatles

Quote Originally Posted by zitro View Post
    The 2nd from the top looks like the one
    That's what I'm thinking.

Well, I've never been to Spain
    but I kind of like the music

Say the ladies are insane there
    And they sure know how to use it

What does it matter?
    What does it matter?

Please indulge me...I feel a stream o' consciousness thread coming on...rubber hotdogs, Mass at 9:45am, green section, cherry section, blue section, Shaefer pens, First Fridays, 8th graders "at the mike" for the Rosary, Father LoGrasso, Father DeSantis, paper drives, 40 Hours Devotion, Blessed be God, Blessed be His Holy Name, Mr. Ech [["ladies, don' drag"), brass coat hooks, sanding textbook page edges, school supplies shop, the Sacristy, scapulars, SJS band member capes, Larry Egan, pre-Confession terrors and the "examination of conscience," rubber angel stamps on my homework: "You can do better!" Pratt's uniform store, sawdust on vomit, nickels stuffed in cupcakes, "they have pierced my hands and feet, and numbered all my bones," incinerator ashes, Dumbo movies in the gym, St. Maria Goretti films at the Ramona, long window hook rods, the "one true faith," deep horizontal creases on the good sisters' foreheads...

Quote Originally Posted by bkd4life View Post
    Please indulge me...I feel a stream o' consciousness thread coming on...rubber hotdogs, Mass at 9:45am, green section, cherry section, blue section, Shaefer pens, First Fridays, 8th graders "at the mike" for the Rosary, Father LoGrasso, Father DeSantis, paper drives, 40 Hours Devotion, Blessed be God, Blessed be His Holy Name, Mr. Ech [["ladies, don' drag"), brass coat hooks, sanding textbook page edges, school supplies shop, the Sacristy, scapulars, SJS band member capes, Larry Egan, pre-Confession terrors and the "examination of conscience," rubber angel stamps on my homework: "You can do better!" Pratt's uniform store, sawdust on vomit, nickels stuffed in cupcakes, "they have pierced my hands and feet, and numbered all my bones," incinerator ashes, Dumbo movies in the gym, St. Maria Goretti films at the Ramona, long window hook rods, the "one true faith," deep horizontal creases on the good sisters' foreheads...
    I think you may have taken almost 2 yrs of conversation and condensed it in a few lines but I'll try to fill any voids. Fr. Grady, Fr. Burns, Fr. O'Leary, The paper drives, George Schaffer with Sr. Treseta Ann, movies in the gym. nickles wrapped in wax paper put in cup cakes with the hot dog [[rubber hot dog) sale, safety patrol boys, duty girls [[getting reported), serving 6:30 AM Mass in the convent, the credit union account, the bells in the tower, benediction and devotion to St. Jude, rubber stamp angels with "unsatisfactory", "need improvement" and "satisfactory" and "excellent" with corresponding angels with drooping wings all the way to blowing the horn, cubscout pack 420, the pack meetings in the gym, intramural basketball in the gym, the new scoreboard, the packed St. Jude Playfield on a fall Sunday afternoon cheering the Jets to another victory
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Detroi...&id=1193007340

enough for now

kellyroad:

My older brother and sister attended school at The Patronage of St. Joseph parish [[now gone) in the Harper/Van Dyke area. I think my brother finished grade school there. He attended Notre Dame HS and graduated in 1959. Went to his 50th reunion recently. The family moved to the State Fair/Crusade neighborhood [[a.k.a. the "green section" by the SJ parish tithing name) in early 1955. My brother and sister took a couple of DSR daily buses back to the old neighborhood to finish the '55 school year at Patronage. My older sister transferred to SJS, then attended Regina HS, graduating in 1963. I did the Burbank kindergarten thing, then a full eight years at SJS. Regina HS class of 1972.
    Your older sister was a '63 classmate of my 1st wife [[died in '82, RIP). Ask her if she remembers Jill L.

kellyroad: many thanks for filling in the "blanks."
    Thanks to everyone for their patience with my nostalgic rants--I'm obviously the new kid on this discussion block.
    Eastburn: I'll be happy to speak with my sister--what was your wife Jill's maiden name?

Wow, you really do have nostalgia ... it was considered a disease once you know. Myself, I think it's contagious. There's a few thousand posts on this and the old DY forum you might be interested in, but more than that, your fresh input is most valuable and welcome.

kellyroad: many thanks for filling in the "blanks."
    Thanks to everyone for their patience with my nostalgic rants--I'm obviously the new kid on this discussion block.
    Eastburn: I'll be happy to speak with my sister--what was your wife Jill's maiden name?
    I'll send you a private message. I don't want to hang it out there on a public board.

kellyroad:
    I resumed my meds last night...the nostalgiaitis is is under control, now. Seriously, there are few of the old gang out in my neck of the woods who have the SJS common bond. Even the pastor of my church in Waterford attended the old school, but he couldn't care less. Might have been ignored, picked upon, or ridiculed as a youth... --bkd4life

okey-dokey...please advise me on how to retrieve a private message; this discussion forum is rather difficult to navigate. Many thanks! --bkd4life

go up to the top right of this frame and look for 'welcome bdk4life' below that it will say 'private messages:1' click on the words private messages.

kellyroad:
    I resumed my meds last night...the nostalgiaitis is is under control, now. Seriously, there are few of the old gang out in my neck of the woods who have the SJS common bond. Even the pastor of my church in Waterford attended the old school, but he couldn't care less. Might have been ignored, picked upon, or ridiculed as a youth... --bkd4life
    It would be great to hear from any SJS alum or former SJ parishioners. Many of us on this thread graduated from SJS in the late 60s or early 70s and yes the late 50s. It could be said that we are lost in nostalgia, knowing that you can never go back home, but we are just having a long conversation about our great school and Parish [[both were the largest in the AD of D at one time) and the nearby far northeast Detroit community. A few of us are out of state but some are still active in the Parish. It seems that being picked on ridiculed or ignored was a common byproduct of being in a school with that many students with the size of classrooms...especially outside the confines of the school grounds and the control of the Domincan nuns. It's amazing how much control there actuually was given the set of circumstances. When did your pastor attend from SJ? By any chance is your parish OLof the Lakes?

Yup, it's Our Lady of the Lakes. Not sure when Father Deloney went to SJS--I'm still fuzzy on judging priests' chronological ages and, as I mentioned, he's not interested in waxing warmly about those halcyon years.

Yup, it's Our Lady of the Lakes. Not sure when Father Deloney went to SJS--I'm still fuzzy on judging priests' chronological ages and, as I mentioned, he's not interested in waxing warmly about those halcyon years.
    Who but a SJS grad would employ the word "halcyon"?

It was in my 7th grade spelling book! Cathedral Press, imprimatur unknown

Non-sequitur for today:
    I've heard Anglicans call Roman Catholic services "smells n' bells," but I just loved that St. Jude incense and the four-chamber bells ringing at Consecration.

It was in my 7th grade spelling book! Cathedral Press, imprimatur unknown
    Years ago, I worked with a woman named "Halcyon". Never heard the word used as a name. I thought it was beautiful.

Wasn't it also used to name a tranquillizer?

Quote Originally Posted by Eastburn View Post
    Years ago, I worked with a woman named "Halcyon". Never heard the word used as a name. I thought it was beautiful.

Wasn't it also used to name a tranquillizer?
    Haladol is an anti-psychotic.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Haladol is an anti-psychotic.
    Good to know. I could probably use some.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastburn View Post
    Good to know. I could probably use some.
    Maybe we can share a bottle?