Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Page 154 of 263 FirstFirst ... 54 104 144 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 164 204 254 ... LastLast
Results 3,826 to 3,850 of 6559

Quote Originally Posted by zitro View Post
    Marysia's on Kelly Road was the best place to buy closest to homemade Pierogi's IMO by our home.
    I knew the Jeziorski's way back when. Great food for sure.
    They sold a friend of mine an automatic potato peeler. At the time I had never heard anything like it. An automatic potato peeler. That was so cool. They took 50 lbs., put it in the machine and ended up with about 5 pounds of usable goods when the skins were finally off. They trashed it. No wonder they got it so cheap.

Did Gino's turn into LUMS? and Mkap, you're killing me with the Limbo reference!

Quote Originally Posted by Campfire Girl View Post
    Did Gino's turn into LUMS? and Mkap, you're killing me with the Limbo reference!
    I don't remember Gino's but I sure do remember Lums! Both the 8 Mile and Mack/Moross locations. Shrimp and chips at Lums was one of my favorite meals out when I was a kid!

I finally got around to checking some of the new Street Views of the old neighborhoods on Google Earth. Looks like the old Heilmann Recreation Center building has been torn down - at least, I see rubble in about the area where it used to be and I assume that's what it was. I do remember seeing the new school[[s) starting to go up in that area at just about the time I was leaving the state in 2001, but hadn't seen the finished product until now.

I also looked at Laing from Morang to Moross - and while granted I didn't look at every possible picture of every possible section of the street, from what I could see it didn't look as bad as I had been led to believe in some of the previous posts here. It certainly doesn't appear to have gotten as bad as "west of Hayes" yet....

By George, I think you've got it CFG. I had completely forgotten about that.
    Z - Where's the matchbook?

Quote Originally Posted by Mkap View Post
    By George, I think you've got it CFG. I had completely forgotten about that.
    Z - Where's the matchbook?
    Hmm, sounds like a challenge. I meager one, but a challenge none the less. Details to come

If ANYONE has a matchbook from Lums, it's going to be you, Z!

Hmmm....a matchbook duo. interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by EMG View Post
    I don't remember Gino's but I sure do remember Lums! Both the 8 Mile and Mack/Moross locations. Shrimp and chips at Lums was one of my favorite meals out when I was a kid!
    also...one of the few places that had strohs dark in a frosted mug.

Yes, they did ---I remember the huge frosted mugs and the jukeboxes on each wall table.

Wow Z, two birds with one stone
    mkap?...

Trust me, I'd be willing to mount a protest, but I'm involved with enough of those right now
    CMAO! Yeah, sometimes you have to pick your battles.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    I remember them up to about 4th grade, CFG, so that would be 66-67 or so. Maybe later but after that I probably didn't pay attention.
    As soon as I saw Bkd's post, I knew you and I would jump on it.
    I hope they're all healthy and prosperous now, and not thinking about suing us for back support.

From the Catechism of the Catholic Church, Part I, Article 12, III - "The Final Purification, or Purgatory"

1030 All who die in God's grace and friendship, but still imperfectly purified, are indeed insured of their eternal salvation; but after death they undergo purification, so as to achieve the holiness necessary to enter the joy of heaven.

1031 The Church gives the name Purgatory to this final purification of the elect, which is entirely different from the punishment of the damned. The Church formulated her doctrine of faith on Purgatory especially at the Councils of Florence and Trent. The tradition of the Church, by reference to certain texts of Scripture, speaks of a cleansing fire.

[As for certain lesser faults, we must believe that, before the Final Judgment, there is a purifying fire. He who is truth says that whoever utters blasphemy against the Holy Spirit will be pardoned neither in this age nor in the age to come. From this sentence we understand that certain offenses can be forgiven in this age, but certain others in the age to come.]

1032 This teaching is also based on the practice of prayer for the dead, already mentioned in the Sacred Scripture: "Therefore [Judas Macabeus] made atonement for the dead, that they might be delivered from their sin". From the beginning the Church has honored the memory of the dead and offered prayers in suffrage for them, above all the Eucharistic sacrifice, so that, thus purified, they may attain the beatific vision of God. The Church also commends almsgiving, indulgences, and works of penance undertaken on behalf on the dead:

[Let us help and commemorate them. If Job's sons were purified by their father's sacrifice, why would we doubt that our offerings for the dead bring them some consolation? Le us not hesitate to help those who have died and to offer our prayers for them.]

Quote Originally Posted by kellyroad View Post
    also...one of the few places that had strohs dark in a frosted mug.
    I was waaaay too young for Strohs back in my Lums-going days, but unless it's just a figment of my imagination I think I might have at least once had a ROOT-beer in one of those frosted mugs!

Touche'

Z, probably has match-books all the way to Fisherman's Wharf.

As a matter of fact.

I finally got around to checking some of the new Street Views of the old neighborhoods on Google Earth. Looks like the old Heilmann Recreation Center building has been torn down - at least, I see rubble in about the area where it used to be and I assume that's what it was. I do remember seeing the new school[[s) starting to go up in that area at just about the time I was leaving the state in 2001, but hadn't seen the finished product until now.

I also looked at Laing from Morang to Moross - and while granted I didn't look at every possible picture of every possible section of the street, from what I could see it didn't look as bad as I had been led to believe in some of the previous posts here. It certainly doesn't appear to have gotten as bad as "west of Hayes" yet....
    EMG: This was posted 2 1/2 yrs ago in the previous "Discuss Detroit" Heilmann thread. The old community center that housed the pool was just south of the current community center [[off Manning)

Tennis anyone?

from farmer's field, to military base, to playfield, to school

flagpole plaque

As a matter of fact.
    LMAO..too much Z

As a matter of fact.
    Did you two discuss that beforehand?

I'm kind of surpised that sign is still there. It must be secured well

Thanks for the pictures, KellyRoad. So that top building is the replacement for the old Recreation Center? Wow-what an improvement!

I'm kind of surpised that sign is still there. It must be secured well
    That flagpole sign is one of the items I want in my "eastside treasure chest" [[along with the Eastland mouse). Harry Heilmann died only months before the park was dedicated in his name.

Thanks for the pictures, KellyRoad. So that top building is the replacement for the old Recreation Center? Wow-what an improvement!
    The new building is nice. I visited there a couple years ago. The staff couldn't have been more cordial and proud of the new digs. Nice gym, pool, and weight rooms. The pool, although new, was smaller with more stark surroundings [[no windows). The picture below is a familiar one to many who lived in the St. Jude area during the 50s and 60s. Basically, the building you see below was simply added on to with more cinder block and brick to make the enclosed pool and community center you were familiar with.
    Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 12:03 pm:Heilmann Pool 1966 [[just prior to being enclosed)

Last edited by kellyroad; February-19-10 at 12:08 AM.