Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
They call it "building the cathedral just for Easter." It's used a few times a year and takes up so much precious downtown space. I'd rather have many things there in its place: a downtown rail depot, for instance. Honestly, I would even gladly trade Cobo in a heartbeat for five or six factories that produce moderate pollution.
Absolutely, it does. Can't argue against that. However, we still need a convention facility of sorts. And barring some kind of miracle, that's it for the forseeable future.
You'll be waiting a long time for some factories, I'm thinking, and a downtown train station. I'm hoping that they ramp up the business for conventions with the new management. That might improve your outlook some.

Conservation is important, but some things just aren't worth conserving. I think Cobo is a good example: Political football, managerial disaster, white elephant, Goliath resource-sucker, and all for a week a year. But, more to your point, I think good things are often used in the defense of bad things. Take the whole "green" thing: Once any term or tactic has a sheen to it like "green" does, you can use it to push the brownest stuff out there. Those are my concerns.
Like I said above, I don't disagree. The term green is used to cover up a multitude of sins. There are ways around everything. But it's more of a statement.