A few days ago I happened to be thinking about those special times when my Dad would take me with him on his frequent visits to Silverstein’s Military Surplus store on McNichols. These trips began when I was a little girl barely able to walk and continued for a number of years. I wondered whether there was any information still available about that magical store and lo-and-behold there was. So here I am, on the DetroitYES site.
I’m 73 years old and my oldest clear memories are of playing in the tail section of a plane that my Dad bought at Silverstein’s. He claimed it was completely intact except for the guns. Meters etc. from that plane were in my Dad’s shop for many years.
Another of my fond memories was getting the little gifts Mr. Silverstein or his employees gave to kids going into the store. I went so often that occasionally Mr. Silverstein would reach back into his private stash and give me a special gift. What a thrill.
To sum up, I have many special memories of the 22 years I lived in Detroit and Silverstein’s is one of the best.