Quote Originally Posted by Dexlin View Post
... And then the gerrymandering is undone for the elections after 2020 and we get automatic voter registration, no-reason absentee, etc...which will make the electorate even more Democratic.
Is there analysis of just how much advantage gerrymandering gives the gerrymanderer?

I'm quite sure the gerrymanderers [[GOP right now here) can't resist drawing favorable boundaries. If there's a political level to be pulled you can rest assured that politicians will push and pull it all day long. But when everything is said and done, I wouldn't be surprised if the results don't change much.

Same with easing up on voter registration. I like registration. Not to limit voting, but to create a non-trivial barrier. Encourages the more informed to vote, and discourages 'impulse' purchases, if you will. The Dems believe that they can more easily tap into special interest voting populations with a late-minute campaign, probably using fright tactics. And the Repubs fear that, for the obvious reason. But once this is the 'rules of the game', the Repubs are gonna find their own group of disgruntled, former non-voters to court. Net result will probably be closer to zero than the Dems think.

Only time will tell how fair the process is, and how much of an effect there is.

I don't think I've ever heard a 'success story' for liberalized or non-existent registration where these kind of easy-registration made a difference.