Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Threaded View

Meddle:M Thanks for pointing out the obvious to Canadian Visitor: It's a relatively minor dollar amount but of course the Federal govt will have to pay two sets of Customs Agents, Homeland security agents etc to staff both bridges, and loss of property tax revenue to Detroit. [[By CV's own words, by denying that, he's a liar. His word, not mine.)

Canadian Visitor: maybe you were truly trying to be helpful [[even in your condescending way) by explaining in such detail how you think the bridge cost will be finalized. You could just have said that it will be a sealed bid process as that term is used over here. Some of us I'm sure have had substantial experience in real estate, including land acquisition, land development, construction and construction lending, and real estate and business operations.

Also, with all of your long winded explanations of the proposed cost of the
    bridge, you failed to mention probably the most important one: the time value of money, expressed as interest or lost opportunity costs. Let's assume [[I don't know how they do it in Canada, sell tax free muni bonds or similar maybe) that at a minimum of 3% annually, at a cost, say of $4 billion, the cost is $120,000,000 a year. That's without amortizing the "debt.")

I'm going to paraphrase something you said above, CV: "All you have to do is be awake, pay attention, and voila - you all will be as smart as I am." You then claimed that of all the disagreements you've had with Richard over the years he's never been right once and you've been right every time. Guess what. I don't believe such an arrogant statement and my guess is that no one else on here does either. Frankly, Richard makes a LOT more sense than you you do on this thread.

You made a comment about trusting the government. I'll bet that when some guy tells you, "I'm from the government and I'm here to help you." you believe him.

CV, I laughed out loud [[and I'm not easily amused) at your claim that "as anticipated" the Ambassador Bridge will close as a result of a new bridge. ho anticipates that? NOBODY. [[I remember when one of H. L. Hunt's sons started the Kansas its Chiefs pro football team and people laughed and said he'd lose $50 million a year. One of his brothers responded that "at that rate he can only hold out for 50 years.") Maroun can cut prices on his bridge for as long as he wishes and the new bridge will not recover its costs in its proposed 125 year life span.

The main impact of a new bridge will possibly move some traffic away from downtown Windsor [[to the dismay of its merchants.)

Canada is a vast and beautiful country. However, its decision to build the new bridge just to spite Maroun is one of the many reasons it's dollar is worth 75% of ours. And, if it weren't for Alberta's oil it would be a lot less.
    Last edited by 3WC; July-06-18 at 03:10 PM.