Quote Originally Posted by CrashDummy View Post
FYI, Gilbert's net worth in 2005 was $900 billion, Ilitch's was $815 billion. Both dropped off the Forbes 400 list for a period, with Ilitch returning in 2006, Gilbert in 2011. Currently, Ilitch is #2 in Michigan at $5.8 billion, Gilbert is #4 at $4.6 billion.

I'm not applying any relevancy to this, just adding information.
Thanks. You posted 'billions' instead of 'millions' but I understand.

If i follow the numbers of both Ilitch and Gilbert correctly, NEITHER had the resources 10 or 15 years ago to do the type of things they are doing today.

815 or 900M is nothing to sneeze it, but to do what Gilbert and Ilitches are doing today they need to be multi-billionaires.

Maybe we have stumbled on the truth: The reason Gilbert has done what he has done is that he is worth 3.7B more today than 11 years ago.

Ditto for Ilitch. He is now worth 5B more than 10 years ago.

Taking Ilitch's 815M net worth in 2005. Wasn't most of that tied up in non liquid assets like the Red Wings and Tigers? I always thought that years ago that Ilitch had a lot of assets [[Red Wings, Tigers, etc.) but wasn't liquid or cash rich. Wasn't it posted here sometime that he had to mortgage the Tigers [[???) to build Comerica????

What we are seeing is two men who have done extremely well in the last 10 years and they are spending aggressively on these projects.