Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Threaded View

Guys, don't h8te me [[and I do apologize for using another D.C. example but it is so illustrious that I have to):

Here is a 15 year study of crime in D.C. by the Urban Institute. They tracked crime over that period over many D.C. neighborhoods, including several GERMANE to the discussion of what sports facilities can or can not do for neighborhoods. Lot of discussion of "SouthEast-Navy Yard" - home of Nationals Park and also Chinatown, etc. [[the Gallery Place subway stop), home of the Verizon Center [[arena). Mount Vernon is the home of the D.C. Convention Center, further north from Verizon Center.

"The distinction of having the largest drop in crime goes to the fast-changing Southeast-Navy Yard neighborhood, where violent crime fell from 59 crimes for every 1,000 residents to six. The Chinatown, Mount Vernon and downtown areas also saw a dramatic decrease during that time, experiencing 33 fewer crimes per 1,000 residents."

The entire article has more detail for those curious...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/l...n-d-c/?hpid=z3

And a nice paragraph about the area near Nationals Park that Bham1982 and I debate [[until the cows come home):

"The Urban Institute attributes Navy Yard’s crime drop to the major development in the neighborhood. In the 90s, the neighborhood was a troubled industrial area. But starting around 2000, there was a concerted effort to redevelop the area and new businesses and Nationals Park came, transforming Navy Yard into the commercial and residential area it is today. Between 2000 and 2012, the average family income there increased 274 percent and the population grew from 1,825 residents to 2,800 in 2012."
    Last edited by emu steve; August-12-15 at 11:58 AM.