Nice write up Pancakelover!
Qwikiees largest restaurant, donut shop & deli was on State & Griswald. I know because I worked there while I was in High school. They had hot complete meals, from pot roast dinner to meatloaf, chicken etc. It was Cafeteria style and they only served it during the lunch rush. YES ! the donuts were the best! They also had a malts, milkshakes, ice cream [[Limited) area right along side the donuts. Much of the food was made in another building and then carried or drove to certain locations. The Grand River St. one usually had the students from Cass Tech and some other schools hanging out. Since it was past the lunch rush time the owners enjoyed their business . I worked with some of Detroit's finest, two very formal elderly sisters that worked and lived downtown, two gals that were on the women' wrestling circuit,[[never knew that it even existed). Last but not least this great cashier who could add and subtract so fast half the people did not even know if they were paying correctly. There were no bar codes then and you had to add in your head then enter that amount against the amount that was given to you to make change. That got a little crazy during rush hour. She was a pro. My boss was always professional and he was of the opinion that his workers were always right whenever there was a customer dispute. I guess they really liked me as they offered me a management position at another location when I was only 18. I would have made a true living wage if I had taken it. They were very fair employers! Their main offices I think were above the Grand River St. Qwikees. I do not recall where their hot food prep kitchen was. I do know it was fairly close to State & Griswald. Qwikees did feed and service many people in the whole downtown area, I knew of 6 locations . Their business model was unique for that time period! I do think that the combination that they had going could work again in any city.