Quote Originally Posted by davewindsor View Post
Um, not that I am opposed to the militarization of police departments, but who said anything about eliminating SWAT teams? SWAT teams were always heavily armed and are necessary.

The way it looks to me is that the debate is about the standard patrol officer being militarized. For example, with Windsor police, they are replacing the standard police shotgun that would be in the trunk of a regular squad car with a C-6 machine gun [[cousin to the M-16). Willi mentioned that the average Mexican police officer is fully decked out in SWAT gear patrolling shopping centers and streets in Mexico city. In the US, are we talking about regular police officers having machine guns OR are we questioning SWAT teams? Because taking away the equipment from SWAT teams sounds absolutely ridiculous in this day and age, but SWAT teams only make up a small part of a police department and they are much better trained in not accidentally hitting an innocent bystander in an intense situation like a shoot out during a bank robbery. They are the best of the best sharp shooters in a police department.
I hate the slippery slope argument... but if you are continually attacking the police department for doing anything aggressive, you shouldn't be surprised when you have a passive PD.

Some of the critics of each and every PD tactic are insatiable. Taking gear away because it might be misused is just as likely to affect drug busts, SWAT as well as riot response.