Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
The entire point of the article is that rent is so high there that some small retailers have to move. and they also cite to NATIONAL retailers Peets and B&N that either went out of business entirely, or are shedding massive amounts of stores. I really am struggling to understand how royal oak is "unraveling"... contrived urban environment notwithstanding.

Its nice to see some retailers taking a chance on midtown, but...again, but for the high rent in RO not one of them would be moving.
Barnes and Noble didn't close because of corporate, it closed because the rent was too high and they weren't given a reasonable deal. The store, as I understand, wasn't losing money and the times I was in there there were always patrons.

Mayor Ellison and the rest of our city leaders who support more and more restaurants and bars are complete two-faced idiots. One one hand they support of the retail plan [[a plan that wouldn't be needed if they had limited liquor licenses in the first place) and then on the other go ahead and allow BWW to open shop, even when the police and others say no. We already have an overcrowding of rowdy and obnoxious teens but also the rowdy and obnoxious drunken bros and sorority sisters. Why the hell do we want a large, anchor establishment that BWW is to open up shop on a corner that is kiddy corner to 3 established [[Bastone, Monks, and the club below), across the tracks from three high traffic-ed bars, AND share the block with two more drinking establishments. That Daily Trib article stated that the mayor and councilpersons liked the owner of BWW because he does great things for the community. I DON'T GIVE A FLYING F@#$. There's too many bars and restaurants. Who cares who the owner is? It's about the city becoming the next Bourbon St. which no one wants!

I just don't get it. I love beer but this is making me become a prohibitionist.