Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
Slay is in his second year, which could make a big difference. they have decent safeties. Will they be ranked as one of the best secondaries? not a chance. Can they get better? yes, they can. It's a wait and see thing. I would love to see them get another corner, but I wasn't particularly sold on what was available in either free agency [[because of Suh, they probably couldn't have gotten a decent corner anyway) or the draft
Ideally I wouldn't have minded seeing them acquiring a decent cornerback earlier in the draft. The only back they got was 4th rounder Nevin Lawson and he very well could be a project

The biggest problem with the Lions under Schwartz was lack of discipline. Their biggest offensive problem last year wasn't Stafford - it was too many players with hands like bricks. If they didn't lead the league in dropped passes, they were damn close.
I think Schwartz' downfall was once he blew up at a player or the team, the cat was out of the bag. The shock value of having a grown man yelling at you wears off quickly and anarchy takes over at that point. I also concur that he nor Scott Linehan really seemed to work with Stafford as much as I would've liked. Stafford might be a gifted athlete but he still needed grooming with technique and under the Jim Schwartz, I'm not sure he got much.

What kills me is the glowing comments I've heard lately about Cutler, who got his best QB rating last year while throwing for half of Stafford's yards and a higher interception to TD ratio -- and it still wasn't above 90. People are acting as if he's Aaron Rogers. The Bears are far and away the most over-rated team in the league. And yes, I think the Lions are under-rated
Looking at Cutler's contract, I'm still agog at what they're paying him compared to some of the established elite QBs in the league. The amount of money and duration of the contract does not fit the level that he's at. I'm not saying he isn't above average in the league but it's a bit lofty.