Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Threaded View

Quote Originally Posted by motz View Post
    So if I tear up part of your driveway, which is legally your property, to put in some flower beds, that's totally cool because Detroit reasons GPP is Great?
    .. of course not, and that isn't what happened here. What is going on here is like ME tearing up MY driveway and planting flower beds, Flower beds that may encroach less than a foot onto your property. The answer? move the flower bed back [[at my expense) six inches and return your property to the condition before I encroached or pay you for the sliver encroached upon...not a lawsuit seeking to compel me to replace my driveway because you don't like I removed it.

Your absolute adherence to defending what is obviously Detroit-level planning idiocy, as well as amazingly tacky design choices, amazes me. I normally either agree with you, or can totally see where you are coming from... But it is becoming more and more clear that GPP rushed this project through, didn't consult their neighbor [[which I was taught as a child that you should do, as A Good Human Being, even if your neighbor is trash) and did not consider any implications beyond "We make street pretty so much walkable great success for city!!".
    I don't disagree that the project was done rather hamfistedly and the barns are sort of meh. I just don't see how this is cause for this much discussion. Especially after 18 months of public knowledge of the project. Further I think much of the discussion is based on the typical "GP is a bunch of racists" rhetoric.

It might or might not work as planned. It might be terrifically bad urban planning...but from early evidence, it's working pretty well and many people seem to like it... with the exception of the aesthetics of the barns. it seems the only people fanning the flames of this are those of the professionally outraged sort.

To say that Detroit shouldn't pay attention to things like this is, in my opinion, wrong.
    That's not what I said. I said, I'm not sure they have the legal standing to make complaints about this supposed "hazard" that exists outside their border. Can GP sue Detroit for letting Chrylser build a factory across Kercheval? Or letting Dan Gilber shut down half of the CBD for his "placemaking" efforts? Seems like it would be more appropriate for the outraged mob of GPers to do so. I don't know...but I would guess [[judging by the events thus far) no traffic study was done.
    Last edited by bailey; August-01-14 at 11:45 AM.