Quote Originally Posted by ghettopalmetto View Post
I think what you mean is, "Some property owners were asking for more money than Mr. Ilitch was willing to spend." To say that these owners "held up Comerica Park and the arena" implies that there was not sufficient land to construct either project. The vast Ilitch-owned wastelands west of the Fox and north of the Fisher Freeway tell me this is not the case.

Vision? This is no vision. It's a mall.

Excuse me: What the fuck does apartment occupancy have to do with building a subsidized hockey arena?

So let Olympia build it themselves. Mike Ilitch can cut a personal check--he has more money than the City of Detroit does.

This is one of the most naive comments on city building anyone could make. People were going downtown long before you discovered Comerica Park. If downtown wasn't safe, people would never have gone to Comerica Park in the first place--just like they would not have gone to Michigan and Trumbull. Comerica Park didn't make anything "safer", and neither will the arena.

What's your solution for rebuilding other areas of downtown, like Michigan Avenue or Gratiot--build another $400 million stadium to show how safe it is?
I see you've intentionally ignored my questions as well as tried to change the argument. You asked about a "demand meter". I gave you the answer and now suddenly it doesn't matter anymore? There's really no point in continuing this discussion. You don't like it and there is no amount of logic or differing perspective that can sway you on this.