With modern technology, I think most cities could host either summer or winter games. That said, I think Detroit would be a more natural fit for the summer games. We have a lot of facilities in Detroit and outlaying areas [[including the athletic facilities of UM and MSU) to host the events. The only major new facilities we would need would be the Olympic Village and Olympic Stadium. The village could be constructed to be converted to dorms for WSU & UDM. The stadium is a tougher issue: there is neither a perfect place to put it, nor a good post-games use for it. I would think perhaps we could build a facility like the arena London built, designed as a cheap, modular facility to be dismantled after the games. The good news is, like Los Angeles, the money raised [[including the TV rights money) could be used primarily for treaks and improvements to current facilities.

In the past, I had felt a Detroit-Windsor joint bid was a good idea, with 2 countries pushing the bid, major companies in both countries as sponsors. But, realistically, with post 9-11 rules in place, border crossings would be too slow and unpredictable to be feasible.

I think Detroit could put together a good bid for the 2024 or 2028 games. We probably won't, but I think we could.