Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
Sure they have choice. They have transit in Chicago and SF. But they choose to drive.
It's not that they CHOOSE to drive... many of them still have jobs in the suburbs that they have to get to, and transit doesn't take them there.

As I said, it's the people with the money that are dictating people's habits. Businesses locate in the suburbs for the lower property taxes. Property taxes that, in the city, would help pay for transit. Essentially, these businesses are passing the cost of getting around to their workers, many who cannot afford the cost of a car, which is a lot more than everyone chipping in for transit.

Young people want to live in the city where it's easy to get around without having to have a car, but they can't control where the jobs are. Sure, there are some that WANT to have cars and do. For them you have to have parking, absolutely. I am more getting at the point you made about 2013 being about big-box and auto-topia. That was more 2005. People are moving back to cities. Maybe not in droves, but they are. When people hit a certain age, they tend to move out to the suburbs to raise a family, but younger people are showing a renewed desire to be in the city. Not the auto centric suburbs.

I don't disagree with the fact that they have cars. I realize that, you arrogant bastard. All i'm saying is it isn't entirely their choice, many times, out of necessity.

If you offered many people a FREE CAR... yeah, they'd take it. It's a great convenience to have when you absolutely need it, but the rest of the time, it's a money pit that sits. Especially if you live in a city where insurance rates are through the roof.