Where culture is concerned transit can make a huge difference in accessibility. I worked in downtown SF but lived in Burlingame and used the BART trains to get get to work days; I could stay downtown after work to go to symphony, the opera, museums etc. and still get back to Burlingame late on BART, Caltrain or the SAMTRANS express buses. It's just not possible to get around here without a car and those who are older or somehow impaired need to live where they can fill most of their needs effectively. When I moved back to Michigan the best choice for me was Ann Arbor, but for all its fine points it would still be nice to get to Detroit more easily to attend the DIA and the DSO. A trip last year to a performance at the Chamber Music Society, in the Bloomfield area, was like planning an ascent of K2. At least next week I can hear my beloved SF Symphony at close-by Hill Auditorium. An extensive and well co-ordinated transit system would allow most metropolitan residents, drivers or not, more latitude in living where they liked without sacrificing many of the amenties [[or necessities) of urban life.