Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Threaded View

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    what about the waitress or bar keep that cannot afford to live in EEV?

They have just as much right to become a home owner as others ,they will purchase something,maybe not fancy well built with a large yard but it would be a functional roof over their head that they can call home within their budget, and maybe a few years down the line they can sell that house and move into EEV.

There is or could be a need for all house stock just as there are all levels of pay grades and to write something off as saying they were just crappy built houses anyways is the same as saying to demolish will rid of drug dealers.

They were built to serve a need ,they were some bodies house ,home and a place where families were raised with memories the city needs taxpayers,homeowners with pride in their neighborhoods and strong residents to support the local businesses ,how many vacant lots do you see buying products at Eastern market ?
    Hi Richard, Either I'm not getting my point across, or you're not getting it. You're post makes it sound like I'm advocating tearing down perfectly good housing down to prevent low to middle income people from living in Detroit. Do you live in Detroit? The reason I ask that question is I do, and driving around the City, I see houses that, IMO, are beyond repair. Houses that are wooden sided, haven't been painted in years, the lapstrake is warped beyond belief, brickwork and porch steps are missing, the roof is merely cheap blue tarp, [[and in some cases THAT is shot), all the widows have either been removed, [[if aluminum), or broken out, plaster and lattice work has huge holes running the parameter of the room from wires being ripped out for the copper, as is ANY metal, [[read piping, [all the way to the cinderblock basement wall], meters, ductwork, furnace, hot water tank, etc.), ANYTHING of value that CAN be sold, [[doorknobs, hinges, doors, vanities, switches, stair rails), are all GONE. The house frame itself is twisted from years of being water logged from the elements. To top it off, @ least one fire has been started in the house. You seriously can't mean you're going to try and rehab that, do you? If so, Robert Fiasco is looking for a construction manager. I hear there's plenty of money to be made in his outfit. No, I'm sorry, I don't agree money should be wasted on trying to salvage these houses. They were cheaply built during Detroit's boom years, served their purpose, and have been neglected for the last 30-40 years. It's time Richard. Even the homeless no longer occupy these houses. Though stray dogs do. About the only saving grace for these structures is each one comes with an original "GASM", "POBART", or some indistinguishable hand painted artwork. Drive through the neighborhood in Mexicotown around La Colmina. Parts of that area were cleared, then Habitat For Humanity erected affordable housing there, and those neighborhoods are thriving, big time. No rocket scientists live there, it's everyday working people. Eastern Mark-Up needs no help. I used to go there regularly on Saturdays, but no longer do so because of the mass congestions from people coming in from the 'burbs to look @ tomato's. Every bartender or waitress I know, trumps my meager salary in spades. Tell you what, c'mon by, and we'll go for a tour of the areas I'm talking about, I'll drive. If @ the end of my tour, you can still look me in the eye from the passenger seat and say "Yes, Honky Tonk, these houses can and should be rehabbed", I'll buy you a $7 head of your favorite lettuce @ Ho' Foods.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; June-06-13 at 07:20 PM.