Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
I call bullshit on the so-called traffic cameras...being 'only' for flow control. IF that were the case, the timing for these lights would be DIFFERENT than those without 'em. They are not...at least not any in the city. They continue to use the old relay switches for timing changes.
In Detroit, the timing of signals is only changed for special events. There isn't a dynamic system like in Oakland County.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
Plus, the first implementation of these was along Rochester Road in Troy. Despite the first week totally screwing up traffic, since they were not calibrated properly, they worked for a full year before the story in the Oakland Press reporting how many individuals the police were able to catch because of image recognition, such at someone with a handgun on their dashboard.

This after the authorities repeatedly said, during the sales and installation and implementation, that they would 'only' be used for flow control...just like MikeM repeated above. Then again, he does drone that all cloud-lines drawn in the sky are merely contrails. Still.

Cheers!
Bullshit. The Autoscope cameras used as traffic sensors have no ability to pan, tilt, or zoom. The image was [[and probably still is) processed at the intersection. The Oakland Traffic Operations Center did not have the ability to get the camera feed to the Ops center even if they wanted to.

It has been 5 or so years since I worked with the road commission on signal stuff. Things may have changed since then, but I doubt it based on the bandwidth needs of even VGA signals given the ~1,000 locations that have dynamic signals.